x86 full system simulation.

Johan Rydberg
Hi,

I noticed that SID nowdays has a x86-component.  Have anyone tried to
run any full system simulation sessions using it?  Do SID come with
enough hardware models to run a full machine (eg 440bx)?

Cheers,
Johan

Re: x86 full system simulation.

Frank Ch. Eigler
Hi -

On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 01:54:04PM +0100, Johan Rydberg wrote:
> I noticed that SID nowdays has a x86-component.

Yes, Tom Fitzsimmions imported a copy of BOCHS there several years ago.

> Have anyone tried to run any full system simulation sessions using
> it?

I recall he got as far as booting a then-current Linux kernel on it.

> Do SID come with enough hardware models to run a full machine (eg
> 440bx)?

Pretty close.  Check out the component library for details.

- FChE

"Frank Ch. Eigler" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi -
>
> On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 01:54:04PM +0100, Johan Rydberg wrote:
>> I noticed that SID nowdays has a x86-component.
>
> Yes, Tom Fitzsimmions imported a copy of BOCHS there several years ago.

"several years ago" is "nowdays" when it comes to the development pace
of SID :)

>> Do SID come with enough hardware models to run a full machine (eg
>> 440bx)?
>
> Pretty close.  Check out the component library for details.

Cool.  I'll see if I can get it to work when I have a few hours over.

Unrelated: Has anyone toyed with the idea of maybe throwing away
mainDynamic+configrun and replacing it with a Python frontend?  In
some situations it can be of great value to script both the
configuration process and the actual simulation session.  I'm mostly
thinking about testing (of guests, not the simulator) here.

I know that SID is somewhat hooked up to tcl, but I won't touch that
with a three hundred meter pole.

~j

On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 03:30:54PM +0100, Johan Rydberg wrote:
> [...]
> "several years ago" is "nowdays" when it comes to the development pace
> of SID :)

Indeed, sid is stable, though Red Hat still undertakes some commercial
porting support for it.

> [...]  Unrelated: Has anyone toyed with the idea of maybe throwing
> away mainDynamic+configrun and replacing it with a Python frontend?
> [...]

... or lua or something?  It's all possible, and not hard to do.
(OTOH, disposing of prior front-ends is not necessary unless they are
well and truly supplanted.)

> I know that SID is somewhat hooked up to tcl, but I won't touch that
> with a three hundred meter pole.

Well, it wouldn't give you warts, if that's what you worry about. :-)

- FChE