workaround for memory error in GAS

Bob Wilson
I've committed this patch to avoid an infrequent memory error in the
Xtensa port of GAS.  It looks like the i960 and v850 ports may suffer
from the same problem, since it occurs when HANDLE_ALIGN is defined
but MAX_MEM_FOR_RS_ALIGN_CODE is not.  Unfortunately, I do not have a
testcase to demonstrate the problem, since Sterling tracked this down
in an older version of GAS and told me that it was difficult to
reproduce.  (This was happening from subsegs_finish where writing one
byte past the end of a frag is usually only fatal when it is at the
end of an obstack chunk.)

The default definition of MAX_MEM_FOR_RS_ALIGN_CODE in this case is:

#  define MAX_MEM_FOR_RS_ALIGN_CODE  ((1 << alignment) - 1)

If the value of "alignment" is zero, the value of
MAX_MEM_FOR_RS_ALIGN_CODE is also zero, but it needs to be at least
one byte for the call to frag_var in frag_align_code.  There are at
least some cases where frag_align_code is called from subsegs_finish
with an alignment of zero.  A more general solution might be to
change the default to:

(alignment == 0 ? 1 : (1 << alignment) - 1)

but the Xtensa port should really have MAX_MEM_FOR_RS_ALIGN_CODE set
to 1 regardless.

2005-12-29  Sterling Augustine  <[hidden email]>

         * config/tc-xtensa.h (MAX_MEM_FOR_RS_ALIGN_CODE): Define.

gas-memerror-fix.diff (678 bytes) Download Attachment