target removal

Alan Modra-3
Hi Hans-Peter,
I'm going through the targets obsoleted a long time ago, and removing
support.  i860, i960, bout and adobe have already disappeared, and I
have local patches to remove tahoe, i370, netware, newsos3 and
tandem.  The next on my list was ieee, but I see you include ieee_vec
for cris.  That's going to disappear.  Objections?

I'll leave ieee for the moment, and move on to m88k, we32k, w65,
h8300-coff, h8500-coff, vax-*-ultrix*, vax-*-bsd*, sh5-*-*, sh64*-*-*,
sh-symbianelf, then various obsoleted sparc, m68k, arm, x86 and mips
targets.

Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM

Re: target removal

Hans-Peter Nilsson
> Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2018 08:29:16 +0930
> From: Alan Modra <[hidden email]>

> Hi Hans-Peter,

Hi!

> I'm going through the targets obsoleted a long time ago, and removing
> support.  i860, i960, bout and adobe have already disappeared, and I
> have local patches to remove tahoe, i370, netware, newsos3 and
> tandem.  The next on my list was ieee, but I see you include ieee_vec
> for cris.  That's going to disappear.  Objections?

Nope.  IIRC it was included only because it seemed like a good
idea at the time, but I haven't heard of it being used in
practice.

JFTR, I'm *not* answering regarding whether it's a good idea to
remove "support for ieee" (and I didn't bother to verify the
"face value" of that), just the connection to CRIS sub-targets.

brgds, H-P

Re: target removal

Alan Modra-3
On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 01:31:22AM +0200, Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:

> > Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2018 08:29:16 +0930
> > From: Alan Modra <[hidden email]>
>
> > Hi Hans-Peter,
>
> Hi!
>
> > I'm going through the targets obsoleted a long time ago, and removing
> > support.  i860, i960, bout and adobe have already disappeared, and I
> > have local patches to remove tahoe, i370, netware, newsos3 and
> > tandem.  The next on my list was ieee, but I see you include ieee_vec
> > for cris.  That's going to disappear.  Objections?
>
> Nope.  IIRC it was included only because it seemed like a good
> idea at the time, but I haven't heard of it being used in
> practice.

Thanks for the quick reply.

> JFTR, I'm *not* answering regarding whether it's a good idea to
> remove "support for ieee" (and I didn't bother to verify the
> "face value" of that), just the connection to CRIS sub-targets.

Heh.  Well the idea is to remove include/ieee.h, bfd/ieee.c,
bfd/libieee.h, binutils/ieee.c, gas/config/atof-ieee.c not just the
configuration.  ie. I'll be removing support for the IEEE 695 object
format, a format that didn't gain wide acceptance and as far as I'm
aware is virtually dead nowadays.  That means less files to edit on
global BFD changes, reducing the maintenance burden a little.  Plus
it's quite likely that someone wanting to play with retro systems
using IEEE 695 is better off using retro binutils.  There's a high
likelihood the IEEE 695 support has bitrotted.

Alan Modra

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 10:44:30AM +0930, Alan Modra wrote:
> bfd/libieee.h, binutils/ieee.c, gas/config/atof-ieee.c not just the

Oops, no, not gas/config/atof-ieee.c!

Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM

Re: target removal

Gunther Nikl-2
Alan Modra <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'll leave ieee for the moment, and move on to m88k, we32k, w65,
> h8300-coff, h8500-coff, vax-*-ultrix*, vax-*-bsd*, sh5-*-*, sh64*-*-*,
> sh-symbianelf, then various obsoleted sparc, m68k, arm, x86 and mips
> targets.

Does this removal include generic targets like m68k-aout?

Regards,
Gunther Nikl

Re: target removal

Alan Modra-3
On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 09:58:02PM +0200, Gunther Nikl wrote:
> Alan Modra <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I'll leave ieee for the moment, and move on to m88k, we32k, w65,
> > h8300-coff, h8500-coff, vax-*-ultrix*, vax-*-bsd*, sh5-*-*, sh64*-*-*,
> > sh-symbianelf, then various obsoleted sparc, m68k, arm, x86 and mips
> > targets.
>
> Does this removal include generic targets like m68k-aout?

Yes, see the list at the start of bfd/config.bfd.