strace.open does probe does not fire

Wolfram Gettert
Hi,
I am executing the following script:

----

probe begin
{
  printf("Start probing syscall.open\n")
}

probe syscall.open
{
  printf ("%s(%d) open(%s)\n", execname(), pid(), argstr)
}

probe timer.s(10)
{
  exit ()
}

probe end
{
  printf("Stop probing syscall.open\n")
}

----

I get the "Start probing syscall.open" and the "Stop probing syscall.open" message. I am executing "cat /dev/null" calls in a shell to be sure there is an open call. But the syscall.open probe does not fire.

I am using Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS with Systemtap translator/driver (version 4.0/0.170, non-git sources).

I know that this script already worked for me on older versions. Is there anything what has changed?
Does anyone has an idea why it should not work?

Wolfram

Re: strace.open does probe does not fire

Josh Stone-5
On 6/24/19 4:43 AM, Wolfram Gettert wrote:
> I get the "Start probing syscall.open" and the "Stop probing syscall.open" message. I am executing "cat /dev/null" calls in a shell to be sure there is an open call. But the syscall.open probe does not fire.

On my Fedora 30, "cat /dev/null" only calls "openat", not "open".

Re: strace.open does probe does not fire

Arkady-2
On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 12:13 AM Josh Stone <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 6/24/19 4:43 AM, Wolfram Gettert wrote:
> > I get the "Start probing syscall.open" and the "Stop probing syscall.open" message. I am executing "cat /dev/null" calls in a shell to be sure there is an open call. But the syscall.open probe does not fire.
>
> On my Fedora 30, "cat /dev/null" only calls "openat", not "open".
Josh, glibc will use openat syscall

AW: strace.open does probe does not fire

Wolfram Gettert
Hallo Josh,
thanks a lot.

I was not aware of this syscall. That fixes my problem.

Wolfram

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----