serial device problem

mac-2
hi~ all,

I want to use serial port to connect between OMAP 5912 osk platform and PC,
so I need a serial device driver.
There are generic 16x5x driver, raw serial driver, and tty driver in eCos
package.
Is it right that generic 16x5x driver for low level driver and raw serial
driver and tty driver for high level driver?
Need I add generic 16x5x driver and tty driver (tty for high level driver )
in my .ecm file or add just one of them?

ps. The UART on 5912 is NS16550.

Best Regards

K-C Lee

Re: serial device problem

Andrew Lunn-2
On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 02:44:07PM +0800, mac wrote:
> hi~ all,
>
> I want to use serial port to connect between OMAP 5912 osk platform and PC,
> so I need a serial device driver.
> There are generic 16x5x driver, raw serial driver, and tty driver in eCos
> package.
> Is it right that generic 16x5x driver for low level driver and raw serial
> driver and tty driver for high level driver?

Yes. There are a few other layers inbetween, but that is basically
correct.

> Need I add generic 16x5x driver and tty driver (tty for high level driver )
> in my .ecm file or add just one of them?
>
> ps. The UART on 5912 is NS16550.

You also need a hardware specific driver which tells the generic 16x5x
driver about your specific hardware. eg take a look at
packages/devs/serial/i386/pc/current which contains the hardware
specific part for a normal PC serial ports.

To enable these drivers you need to edit the ecos.db. You will need to
add the new hardware specific package you write, which i guess you
will name something like CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_ARM_OSK, plus to the omap
OSK target you need to add:

                   CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_GENERIC_16X5X
                   CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_ARM_OSK

You then need to enable the option CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_DEVICES when you
build along with any options you want for the tty driver.

        Andrew

RE: serial device problem

Chase, Thomas
Hi.

I have a working and tested OMAP5912 port including serial.  I have attached
the serial files.  You will need to modify your ecos.db to include the
references listed.

I am in the process of preparing the copyright assignment and plan on
contributing the whole thing as soon as possible.  (And as soon as I can do
it appropriately.)

Good luck.

Tom Chase
Software Engineering Manager

This communication is from DTC Communications, Inc. and is intended to be
confidential and solely for the use of the persons or entities addressed
above.  If you are not an intended recipient, be aware that the information
contained herein may be protected from unauthorized use by privilege or law,
and any copying, distribution, disclosure, or other use of this information
is prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please
contact the sender by return e-mail or telephone the above number
immediately and delete or destroy all copies.  Thank you for your
cooperation.

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 02:44:07PM +0800, mac wrote:
> hi~ all,
>
> I want to use serial port to connect between OMAP 5912 osk platform and
PC,
> so I need a serial device driver.
> There are generic 16x5x driver, raw serial driver, and tty driver in eCos
> package.
> Is it right that generic 16x5x driver for low level driver and raw serial
> driver and tty driver for high level driver?

Yes. There are a few other layers inbetween, but that is basically
correct.

> Need I add generic 16x5x driver and tty driver (tty for high level driver
)
> in my .ecm file or add just one of them?
>
> ps. The UART on 5912 is NS16550.

You also need a hardware specific driver which tells the generic 16x5x
driver about your specific hardware. eg take a look at
packages/devs/serial/i386/pc/current which contains the hardware
specific part for a normal PC serial ports.

To enable these drivers you need to edit the ecos.db. You will need to
add the new hardware specific package you write, which i guess you
will name something like CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_ARM_OSK, plus to the omap
OSK target you need to add:

                   CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_GENERIC_16X5X
                   CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_ARM_OSK

You then need to enable the option CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_DEVICES when you
build along with any options you want for the tty driver.

        Andrew

ser_omap5912.cdl (10K) Download Attachment
ecos.db (3K) Download Attachment
omap5912_serial.c (23K) Download Attachment
omap5912_serial.h (7K) Download Attachment