request to add arch dir to stap include_path

request to add arch dir to stap include_path

Kevin Stafford
I think this was brought up at the F2F but do not recall a definitive
solution...
Not questioning the merit of the (script language) enhancement to
support %( CONDITION %? TRUE-TOKENS %: FALSE-TOKENS %) pre-processor
statements. However I can foresee probe script code becoming difficult
to manage (or at least ugly) if entangled between a lot of 'ifdefs'. I
think it would be appropriate - and consistent with Linux's traditional
way of ordering source code - if (arch specific)
tapset code was able to be placed in tapset/arch/ directory (eg.
SYSTEMTAP_TAPSET=$SRCDIR/tapset/arch/`uname -i`/*.stp)

--
Kevin Stafford
DES 2 | MS 2M3

Re: request to add arch dir to stap include_path

Frank Ch. Eigler

kevinrs wrote:

> [...] However I can foresee probe script code becoming difficult to
> manage (or at least ugly) if entangled between a lot of 'ifdefs'.
> [...]

That's true (though the dual entanglement can exist if code needs to
be shared between multiple architectures).

> [... let's let] (arch specific) tapset code [be] able to be placed
> in tapset/arch/ directory
> (eg. SYSTEMTAP_TAPSET=$SRCDIR/tapset/arch/`uname -i`/*.stp)

I guess this could compose with the existing kernel-version-sensitive
search path, just have to pick whether it should go before or after
the version subdirectories.  Kevin, if you would like to try it out,
go ahead.  You'll need to change main.cxx, search for
"version_suffixes".

- FChE