'random' Allocation failed errors

corpaul
When I run probes, I get allocation errors now and then. They appear to be fairly random, because I am probing the same task (a unit test suite) so memory usage should be approximately the same.

example:
ERROR: global variable 'times' allocation failed

Sometimes systemtap gives me a suggestion for which parameter should be increased (e.g. DMAXMAPENTRIES), sometimes it doesn't. I am running the probes with the following parameters:
-DMAXMAPENTRIES=120000 -DSTP_NO_OVERLOAD -DMAXSTRINGLEN=4096 -DTRYLOCKDELAY=300 -DMAXSKIPPED=10000 -DMAXACTION=1000

Are these perhaps exceptionally low/high values? How should I deal with these allocation errors?

Thanks!

Re: 'random' Allocation failed errors

Frank Ch. Eigler

corpaul <[hidden email]> writes:

> When I run probes, I get allocation errors now and then. They appear to be
> fairly random, because I am probing the same task (a unit test suite) so
> memory usage should be approximately the same.
> example:
> ERROR: global variable 'times' allocation failed [...]

dsmith's recent change to the systemtap runtime (PR15805, commit
3f873e53) changes the way that large data structures like the script
hash tables are allocated.  Would you mind trying git systemtap a try?

- FChE