newlib is broken for spu target since 2.5.0.20170623

newlib is broken for spu target since 2.5.0.20170623

Sourceware - newlib list mailing list
Hello,

I wanted to make a crosscompiler for the SPU on my PS3 with the newest
newlib 3.3.0 but it failed. I've reported this issue to my distribution
here https://bugs.gentoo.org/732206 and my investigations turned out
this has been broken for some time now. I've also made a diff of the
last working version and the first broken version here
https://github.com/grepwood/newlib/commit/831b6666af1f83ac173b491a5c191246203ddc37
and I can see there's something wrong POSIX threads but I'm not entirely
sure. Could anyone assist please? I know the SPU target is pretty much
dead, but there are also plans to bring the open-source PS3 SDK PSL1GHT
up to speed with new networking code from newlib, and they will also be
blocked if they can't get a compiler for the SPU.

Best regards,

Michał Dec

Re: newlib is broken for spu target since 2.5.0.20170623

Sourceware - newlib list mailing list
On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 4:57 PM Michał Dec via Newlib
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I wanted to make a crosscompiler for the SPU on my PS3 with the newest
> newlib 3.3.0 but it failed. I've reported this issue to my distribution
> here https://bugs.gentoo.org/732206 and my investigations turned out
> this has been broken for some time now. I've also made a diff of the
> last working version and the first broken version here
> https://github.com/grepwood/newlib/commit/831b6666af1f83ac173b491a5c191246203ddc37
> and I can see there's something wrong POSIX threads but I'm not entirely
> sure. Could anyone assist please? I know the SPU target is pretty much
> dead, but there are also plans to bring the open-source PS3 SDK PSL1GHT
> up to speed with new networking code from newlib, and they will also be
> blocked if they can't get a compiler for the SPU.

Well the SPU back-end for GCC was removed in GCC 10.x and gdb release
this year.  So I am thinking we should remove support for spu from the
newlib too.  I am shocked it was removed from binutils though.

Thanks,
Andrew Pinski

W dniu 12.07.2020 o 02:42, Andrew Pinski pisze:
> I am shocked it was removed from binutils though.

What? In which version?

Best regards,

Michał Dec

On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 3:00 AM Michał Dec <[hidden email]> wrote:

> W dniu 12.07.2020 o 02:42, Andrew Pinski pisze:
> > I am shocked it was removed from binutils though.
>

> What? In which version?
I meant I am shocked, it has NOT been removed from binutils yet.
I once worked on the SPU back-end but it has been over 10 years since
I last worked on it and had the ability to do such too.

Thanks,
Andrew Pinski