libffi maintenance within GCC?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

libffi maintenance within GCC?

Matthias Klose-6
With the removal of libgcj, the only user of libffi in GCC is libgo, however
there is now no maintainer listed anymore for libffi in the MAINTAINERS file,
and the libffi subdir is a bit outdated compared to the libffi upstream
repository (got aware of this by libffi issue #197).  Who would be responsible
now to update / review libffi patches, just the global reviewers, or should
libffi be maintained by the libgo maintainers?

Matthias
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: libffi maintenance within GCC?

Anthony Green
Is it still important that libffi be included in the GCC tree?

AG


On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 8:55 AM, Matthias Klose <[hidden email]> wrote:
> With the removal of libgcj, the only user of libffi in GCC is libgo, however
> there is now no maintainer listed anymore for libffi in the MAINTAINERS file,
> and the libffi subdir is a bit outdated compared to the libffi upstream
> repository (got aware of this by libffi issue #197).  Who would be responsible
> now to update / review libffi patches, just the global reviewers, or should
> libffi be maintained by the libgo maintainers?
>
> Matthias
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: libffi maintenance within GCC?

Andrew Haley
In reply to this post by Matthias Klose-6
On 27/10/16 13:55, Matthias Klose wrote:
> With the removal of libgcj, the only user of libffi in GCC is libgo, however
> there is now no maintainer listed anymore for libffi in the MAINTAINERS file,
> and the libffi subdir is a bit outdated compared to the libffi upstream
> repository (got aware of this by libffi issue #197).  Who would be responsible
> now to update / review libffi patches, just the global reviewers, or should
> libffi be maintained by the libgo maintainers?

libffi has always been maintained by the appropriate back-end maintainers.

Andrew.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: libffi maintenance within GCC?

Ian Taylor
In reply to this post by Anthony Green
On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 6:08 AM, Anthony Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is it still important that libffi be included in the GCC tree?

[ Replying again as last message was bounced as HTML--sorry for the
duplication.]

libffi is used by libgo, for much the same reason as it was used by
libjava, so it needs to come from somewhere.

Ian


> On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 8:55 AM, Matthias Klose <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> With the removal of libgcj, the only user of libffi in GCC is libgo, however
>> there is now no maintainer listed anymore for libffi in the MAINTAINERS file,
>> and the libffi subdir is a bit outdated compared to the libffi upstream
>> repository (got aware of this by libffi issue #197).  Who would be responsible
>> now to update / review libffi patches, just the global reviewers, or should
>> libffi be maintained by the libgo maintainers?
>>
>> Matthias
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: libffi maintenance within GCC?

Andrew Haley
On 28/10/16 04:03, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 6:08 AM, Anthony Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Is it still important that libffi be included in the GCC tree?
>
> [ Replying again as last message was bounced as HTML--sorry for the
> duplication.]
>
> libffi is used by libgo, for much the same reason as it was used by
> libjava, so it needs to come from somewhere.

It has been very convenient for GCC port maintainers to be able to
commit their patches to the GCC tree.

Andrew.