kawa 1.90 released

Per Bothner
I accidentally uploaded the Kawa web pages to the kawa 1.90 version, so I decided
to hurriedly make a 1.90 release to avoid dead links!

Kawa 2.0 is looking to be a big release, as you can see from
http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/news.html

I'm working on documenting the new features, and in general updating
the documentation and website. This is the main things left to do at this point.
For example, documentation on the new process features
is missing, though some is available on my blog:
http://per.bothner.com/blog/2014/Kawa-shell-programming/
http://per.bothner.com/blog/2014/text-and-binary-data/
A lot of new documentation has been added/updated, as you can see if you
browse the documentation.

In addition to documentation, I'm working on enhancing the import form, so it
can process source files - and effecticely be a superset of the require form.
Otherwise, I don't expect major non-documentation changes before 2.0.
        --Per Bothner

Re: kawa 1.90 released

Charles Turner-4
Hi Per,

That's a very impressive list of features, congrats!

One small nit, "Support for building with GCJ was removed." but the
"Installing and using the source distribution" page at
http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/Source-distribution.html still has
instructions on how to build with GCJ. I think that should be removed
or at least there should be a message saying it's deprecated and won't
work with 1.90.

Kind regards,
Charlie.

On 28 October 2014 23:43, Per Bothner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I accidentally uploaded the Kawa web pages to the kawa 1.90 version, so I
> decided
> to hurriedly make a 1.90 release to avoid dead links!
>
> Kawa 2.0 is looking to be a big release, as you can see from
> http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/news.html
>
> I'm working on documenting the new features, and in general updating
> the documentation and website. This is the main things left to do at this
> point.
> For example, documentation on the new process features
> is missing, though some is available on my blog:
> http://per.bothner.com/blog/2014/Kawa-shell-programming/
> http://per.bothner.com/blog/2014/text-and-binary-data/
> A lot of new documentation has been added/updated, as you can see if you
> browse the documentation.
>
> In addition to documentation, I'm working on enhancing the import form, so
> it
> can process source files - and effecticely be a superset of the require
> form.
> Otherwise, I don't expect major non-documentation changes before 2.0.
>         --Per Bothner
> [hidden email]   http://per.bothner.com/

Re: kawa 1.90 released

Duncan Mak
Hello,

For those of us running on a Mac, I updated homebrew to include 1.90
under the --devel flag.

https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/commit/2f84b834f37ccead3baaf8e707afbe5dcd498b77

Duncan.

Duncan.

Re: kawa 1.90 released

Per Bothner

On 11/08/2014 09:14 AM, Duncan Mak wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For those of us running on a Mac, I updated homebrew to include 1.90
> under the --devel flag.
>
> https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/commit/2f84b834f37ccead3baaf8e707afbe5dcd498b77

Not being a MacOS user, I don't know anything about homebrew.

This page: http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/Running-Java.html
has a link to:  http://rdsathene.org/scheme/mackawa.html

Is that information still current and useful?

        --Per Bothner

Re: kawa 1.90 released

Duncan Mak
There are three pages on that site -

http://rdsathene.org/scheme/mackawa.html -- this is about running on
Classic MacOS, before OS X. This is definitely outdated, I don't think
you'd find that many people still running Classic MacOS. I don't
there's even a JDK 6 for Classic MacOS.

http://rdsathene.org/scheme/mackawaosx-old.html -- this is about
running on MacOS X 10.1.

http://rdsathene.org/scheme/mackawaosx.html -- this is about running
on OS X 10.2, 10.3, it seems?

OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) was released in Oct 2014. For current users of
OS X (10.8 onward, I'd say), the easiest way to install Kawa is to use
Homebrew, which is a packaging system for OS X, similar to BSD ports,
or Debian's dpkg.

With homebrew installed, you just run "brew install kawa" to get Kawa
1.14, and "brew install --devel kawa" to get the latest 1.90.

Duncan.

Duncan.

Re: kawa 1.90 released

Per Bothner

On 11/08/2014 02:42 AM, Charles Turner wrote:
> Hi Per,
>
> That's a very impressive list of features, congrats!

Thanks!

> One small nit, "Support for building with GCJ was removed." but the
> "Installing and using the source distribution" page at
> http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/Source-distribution.html still has
> instructions on how to build with GCJ. I think that should be removed
> or at least there should be a message saying it's deprecated and won't
> work with 1.90.

Good catch.  I edited my working copy to put in a disclaimer,
though maybe I should just comment out GCJ-related text.

        --Per Bothner

Re: kawa 1.90 released

Per Bothner

On 11/09/2014 10:08 AM, Duncan Mak wrote:
> With homebrew installed, you just run "brew install kawa" to get Kawa
> 1.14, and "brew install --devel kawa" to get the latest 1.90.

Would this be a reasonable change to http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/Binary-distribution.html
(using texinfo format)?

On MacOs, if you have @uref{brew.sh,Homebrew} installed, get Kawa by doing:
@example
$ brew install kawa
@end example
or to get the development version do:
@example
$ brew install--devel  kawa
@end example

Though note that 1.90 is actually the current release - at least the other
links from the web site point to that.  And I assume ideally --devel should
link to binaries built from a svn (or soon: git) check-out from some automated
build server.

Ideally a binary install should also include the kawa "wrapper" program.
That might be more difficult, at least if using the binary kawa program.
A shell script can provide most of the functionality, though readline
support does need a binary; it could use rlwrap or similar if available.

If we have a build-server for Mac, it could build the kawa wrapper program.

Also: Do we need any Mac-specific instructions/advice about building
from source on MacOs?  I.e. similar to what we have for Windows in
file:///home/bothner/Kawa/web/kawa/Source-distribution.html
        --Per Bothner

Re: kawa 1.90 released

Duncan Mak
Hello Per,

A few changes --

a) It's more common to call it OS X instead of MacOs.

b) The command for installing the development version if 'brew install
--devel kawa', there's a space between the install and --devel flag.

c) Homebrew has --devel and --HEAD to designate different levels of
stability (https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/blob/master/share/doc/homebrew/Formula-Cookbook.md#advanced-formula-tricks),
when we move to Git, it will be easy to add a 'HEAD' option to link to
the latest builds from source control (we should also add code to
include building Kawa on the Mac).

d) As part of the install script, there's already a shell wrapper. I
(or anyone else) can definitely submit changes to make it fancier down
the line:

def install
    prefix.install "kawa-#{version}.jar"
    (bin+'kawa').write <<-EOS.undent
    #!/bin/sh
    KAWA_HOME="#{prefix}"
    java -jar "$KAWA_HOME/kawa-#{version}.jar"
    EOS
end

--
Duncan.