how to add component in SID

budi ono
hello all

I would like to add some component in SID (example:
virtual LCD).

can I do that?
is there any documentation about that?

could someone help me, please

Re: how to add component in SID

Frank Ch. Eigler
Hi -

On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 11:37:51PM -0700, budi ono wrote:

> I would like to add some component in SID (example: virtual LCD).

Great.  You may find the hw-lcd-* and hw-visual-lcd components useful
as a reference (if not outright duplicative).

> can I do that?  is there any documentation about that?

There is some documentation in the source tree (src/sid/doc), and lots
of sample working components.  This includes ones written in native
C++, for which you need to #include "sidcomp.h" and build in an
abi-compatible way.  Adding a new sibling directory under
sid/components/ by cloning/renaming a previous small one is a good way
to start.

Also, some components are written in tcl/tk (which are bridged
transparently into the system), and for them you just install a
suitably named source file under ../share/sidcomp.

- FChE

Re: how to add component in SID

budi ono
Could you explain what is abi-compatible way?

Actually I have no problem with the available
documentation of how to write the new component, but
I'm having trouble of what to do after I have finished
writing my component, i.e. how to compile, how to
install, is there any guide about that too?

--- "Frank Ch. Eigler" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There is some documentation in the source tree
> (src/sid/doc), and lots
> of sample working components.  This includes ones
> written in native
> C++, for which you need to #include "sidcomp.h" and
> build in an
> abi-compatible way.  Adding a new sibling directory
> under
> sid/components/ by cloning/renaming a previous small
> one is a good way
> to start.
>
> Also, some components are written in tcl/tk (which
> are bridged
> transparently into the system), and for them you
> just install a
> suitably named source file under ../share/sidcomp.
>
> - FChE

Re: how to add component in SID

Frank Ch. Eigler
Hi -

> Could you explain what is abi-compatible way?  [...]  I'm having
> trouble of what to do after I have finished writing my component,
> i.e. how to compile, how to install, is there any guide about that
> too?

I don't know if that part was written down.  Again, my advice is to
clone the setup of an existing component, focusing on the
autoconf/automake bits of the sid/component and sid/component/YOUR
subdirectories.

- FChE