[[gnu.org #751250] Re: Locale copyright assignments]

[[gnu.org #751250] Re: Locale copyright assignments]

Petr Baudis
----- Forwarded message from Donald R Robertson III via RT <[hidden email]> -----

> [donald - Mon May 07 17:26:14 2012]:
>
> > [[hidden email] - Wed May 02 18:05:02 2012]:
> >
> > On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 05:25:06PM -0400, Donald R Robertson III via
> > RT wrote:
> > > I haven't personally looked at the data, but if I'm understanding
> > correctly the locale data is
> > > localization information, which I imagine is similar to translated
> > pieces of text. Please
> > > correct me if I am wrong.
> >
> > The localization information documents (in a terse machine-readable
> > format) local conventions like names of months, start of week,
> > prevailing date formats and alphabetical order.
>
> That certainly sounds like the type of thing where there really isn't
> any copyrightable material
> being contributed.
>

> > It is like translations in the sense that it is national-specific.
> > It is unlike translations that it is not merely rephrasing of
> > statement
> > written (and copyrighted) by someone else in a new language.
> >
> > > What would be really useful at this point is to just get a list of
> > the contributors. That way we
> > > might be able to look up what was determined in the past. It would
> > be good to have the list also
> > > since if it turns out that we do want paperwork for this type of
> > contribution, we will need to
> > > contact these individuals anyways.
> >
> > Unfortunately the way they were committed it is rather tricky to
> match
> > them up automatically so I just sampled some locale additions in
> 2011.
> > Various locales were contributed by Jeyaranjan Yogaraj, Sanjib
> > Narzary,
> > Rosniel Arian Montanet, Kevin (Lugubrili?), Pravin Satpute, Slava
> > Kileev, and Alessio Gastaldi.
>
> A lot of those names are not in our records as having any paperwork
> with us, so it looks like we
> haven't been requiring it in the past. I am pretty sure at this point
> that we don't need
> paperwork for this type of contribution, but I'll check with the SFLC
> about it and get an answer
> back to you. Thank you so much for helping to work through this issue.

Well that was fast. The SFLC said that this type of thing isn't copyrightable, and that
paperwork isn't really necessary. So we should be good to go. Thank you so much for all your
help.

--
Sincerely,

Donald R. Robertson, III, J.D.
Assignment Administrator
Free Software Foundation
51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor
Boston, MA 02110
Phone +1-617-542-5942
Fax +1-617-542-2652

---

----- End forwarded message -----

Re: [[gnu.org #751250] Re: Locale copyright assignments]

Ryan S. Arnold
On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 8:58 AM, Petr Baudis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ----- Forwarded message from Donald R Robertson III via RT <[hidden email]> -----
> Well that was fast. The SFLC said that this type of thing isn't copyrightable, and that
> paperwork isn't really necessary. So we should be good to go. Thank you so much for all your
> help.

> Donald R. Robertson, III, J.D.

Petr, Thanks for doing this.

Will you please write a short paragraph with a URL link to this email
in the archive to the Contribution Checklist wiki page please?

http://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Contribution%20checklist#FSF_copyright_Assignment

Would you also update "Qualification (Locales)" with any changes in
policy that have taken place?

Ryan