gdbtui: how to always show function arguments?

gdbtui: how to always show function arguments?

Sourceware - gdb list mailing list
Hello

I use gdbtui to debug many programs. I wish it had more features for some fairly simple situations: always show function arguments, or even 'display' them while we are inside it, without needing to 'print' or 'display' each one.

 Do you know how to make gdbtui do that? Maybe there is an option to always show things in each part of the previous line. I say previous line because I want to know the values of things that were used as arguments, the final result of a complex expression, and so on.

 I am *not* asking about 'print' and 'display' gdb commands, I know they exist. I want to make them automatically, and possibly changing what is shown as we navigate through the program.

I want to also be able to use the solution remotely via ssh (no, no ssh -X) like I do with gdbtui command (usually redirecting program output to another window in a second remote connection).

Re: gdbtui: how to always show function arguments?

Pedro Alves-7
(Ignoring "Reply-To:" and staying on list.)

On 10/26/2017 08:11 PM, Dedeco Balaco Baco via gdb wrote:
> Hello
>
> I use gdbtui to debug many programs. I wish it had more features for some fairly simple situations: always show function arguments, or even 'display' them while we are inside it, without needing to 'print' or 'display' each one.
>
>  Do you know how to make gdbtui do that?  Maybe there is an option to always show things in each part of the previous line. I say previous line because I want to know the values of things that were used as arguments, the final result of a complex expression, and so on.
>
>  I am *not* asking about 'print' and 'display' gdb commands, I know they exist. I want to make them automatically, and possibly changing what is shown as we navigate through the program.

AFAIK, there's a way to do that today.  The TUI is missing
"locals" / "display" windows.  I agree, it'd be a really nice
feature to have.  It just needs someone willing to work on
it.  :-)

> I want to also be able to use the solution remotely via ssh (no, no ssh -X) like I do with gdbtui command (usually redirecting program output to another window in a second remote connection).

Interesting, thanks for sharing your use case.

Thanks,
Pedro Alves