gdbserver/ considered a part of binutils?

gdbserver/ considered a part of binutils?

Maciej W. Rozycki-5
Hi Tom,

 It seems like something has to be done with Git hook scriptery to make it
consider gdbserver/ a part of GDB rather than binutils; gdbsupport/ might
be similarly affected.  My recent commit spanning gdb/ and gdbserver/ has
triggered an additional message (beyond one to <[hidden email]>)
posted to <[hidden email]>, which shouldn't have happened for such
a commit.

 Since you have been the person working on this tree restructuring can you
please figure out what has to be done to get this fixed?

  Maciej

Re: gdbserver/ considered a part of binutils?

Joel Brobecker
>  It seems like something has to be done with Git hook scriptery to make it
> consider gdbserver/ a part of GDB rather than binutils; gdbsupport/ might
> be similarly affected.  My recent commit spanning gdb/ and gdbserver/ has
> triggered an additional message (beyond one to <[hidden email]>)
> posted to <[hidden email]>, which shouldn't have happened for such
> a commit.

I should be the same message with two recipients, but that's indeed
a good point.  This is something to remember when moving code to
the toplevel dir.

I've modified the script we use to determine which mailing-list to hit,
and marked gdbserver/ and gdbsupport/ as being GDB-only. I did a quick
pass over the current directories at toplevel, and didn't see anything
else. But if there are other directories not created yet that we are
planning on adding, please let me know, and I will take care of it too.

Joel

On Wed, 19 Feb 2020, Joel Brobecker wrote:

> >  It seems like something has to be done with Git hook scriptery to make it
> > consider gdbserver/ a part of GDB rather than binutils; gdbsupport/ might
> > be similarly affected.  My recent commit spanning gdb/ and gdbserver/ has
> > triggered an additional message (beyond one to <[hidden email]>)
> > posted to <[hidden email]>, which shouldn't have happened for such
> > a commit.
>
> I should be the same message with two recipients, but that's indeed
> a good point.  This is something to remember when moving code to
> the toplevel dir.

 Yes, it's a single original message, but if you're subscribed to both
mailing lists then you receive two copies of the message as I did.

> I've modified the script we use to determine which mailing-list to hit,
> and marked gdbserver/ and gdbsupport/ as being GDB-only. I did a quick
> pass over the current directories at toplevel, and didn't see anything
> else. But if there are other directories not created yet that we are
> planning on adding, please let me know, and I will take care of it too.

 Great, thanks, also for your sharp-sightedness!

  Maciej

Re: gdbserver/ considered a part of binutils?

Tom Tromey-2
Joel> I've modified the script we use to determine which mailing-list to hit,
Joel> and marked gdbserver/ and gdbsupport/ as being GDB-only. I did a quick
Joel> pass over the current directories at toplevel, and didn't see anything
Joel> else.

I think gnulib is only used by gdb.

Joel> But if there are other directories not created yet that we are
Joel> planning on adding, please let me know, and I will take care of it too.

I think we're done for now.  I didn't even think of this, so thanks
Maciej for finding it, and Joel for fixing it.

Tom

Re: gdbserver/ considered a part of binutils?

Joel Brobecker
> Joel> I've modified the script we use to determine which mailing-list to hit,
> Joel> and marked gdbserver/ and gdbsupport/ as being GDB-only. I did a quick
> Joel> pass over the current directories at toplevel, and didn't see anything
> Joel> else.
>
> I think gnulib is only used by gdb.

Wouldn't binutils want to use it at some point, now that the work
to make it available has been done?

> I think we're done for now.  I didn't even think of this, so thanks
> Maciej for finding it, and Joel for fixing it.

You are welcome!

Joel

Re: gdbserver/ considered a part of binutils?

Tom Tromey-2

Joel> I've modified the script we use to determine which mailing-list to hit,
Joel> and marked gdbserver/ and gdbsupport/ as being GDB-only. I did a quick
Joel> pass over the current directories at toplevel, and didn't see anything
Joel> else.

>> I think gnulib is only used by gdb.

Joel> Wouldn't binutils want to use it at some point, now that the work
Joel> to make it available has been done?

I would hope so, but who knows.
If they don't mind seeing the email, it is fine by me :)

Tom

Re: gdbserver/ considered a part of binutils?

Joel Brobecker
> I would hope so, but who knows.
> If they don't mind seeing the email, it is fine by me :)

I've sent the binutils list a heads up, and asked them if they want
us to filter them out on those. Let's see what they say :).

--
Joel