gdbserver and following children

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

gdbserver and following children

Vladimir Prus-3

Hi,

I cannot quite figure from the documentation whether it is possible, in multi-process mode with gdbserver, to
automatically attach to all children?

I see that http://sourceware.org/gdb/wiki/MultiProcess mentions this functionality is living on a branch and not
yet ready, but than the page also talks about 7.2. Of course, I can try with CVS HEAD, but it would be hard to
separate missing functionality in GDB from missing functionality in my head.

Thanks,

--
Vladimir Prus
CodeSourcery / Mentor Graphics
http://www.mentor.com/embedded-software/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gdbserver and following children

Pedro Alves-7
Hi Vladimir,

On 06/22/2012 09:36 AM, Vladimir Prus wrote:

> I cannot quite figure from the documentation whether it is possible, in multi-process mode with gdbserver, to
> automatically attach to all children?


It's not possible.

>
> I see that http://sourceware.org/gdb/wiki/MultiProcess mentions this functionality is living on a branch and not
> yet ready, but than the page also talks about 7.2. Of course, I can try with CVS HEAD, but it would be hard to
> separate missing functionality in GDB from missing functionality in my head.


Here you'll find a more in depth comparison of gdbserver vs native gdb supported features:

 http://sourceware.org/gdb/wiki/LocalRemoteFeatureParity

--
Pedro Alves
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gdbserver and following children

Vladimir Prus-3
On 22.06.2012 13:38, Pedro Alves wrote:

> Hi Vladimir,
>
> On 06/22/2012 09:36 AM, Vladimir Prus wrote:
>
>> I cannot quite figure from the documentation whether it is possible, in multi-process mode with gdbserver, to
>> automatically attach to all children?
>
>
> It's not possible.
>
>>
>> I see that http://sourceware.org/gdb/wiki/MultiProcess mentions this functionality is living on a branch and not
>> yet ready, but than the page also talks about 7.2. Of course, I can try with CVS HEAD, but it would be hard to
>> separate missing functionality in GDB from missing functionality in my head.
>
>
> Here you'll find a more in depth comparison of gdbserver vs native gdb supported features:
>
>   http://sourceware.org/gdb/wiki/LocalRemoteFeatureParity

Hi Pedro,

thanks for the link -- it's much more helpful. How hard would it be to implement that 'follow-fork' on gdbserver?
Days, weeks, months?

- Volodya

--
Vladimir Prus
CodeSourcery / Mentor Graphics
http://www.mentor.com/embedded-software/