gdb online manuals

Jonny Grant
Hello
Is the gdb version 9 manual online? I could only find the latest development version online from this page https://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/

https://sourceware.org/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdb/

This is the Tenth Edition, of Debugging with GDB: the GNU Source-Level Debugger for GDB (GDB) Version 10.0.50.20200715-git.

Perhaps the major version manuals could be listed online on the documentation page?

Thank you
Jonny

Re: gdb online manuals

Joel Brobecker
> Is the gdb version 9 manual online? I could only find the latest development version online from this page https://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/

We are aware that the documentation page is a bit confusing and that
it could use some love but unfortunately, it's tied to scripts
that run nightly as well as the release process, and we're lacking
resources to tackle that.

In the meantime, the page you reference above has a line that points
you to the documentation of the latest release:
https://sourceware.org/gdb/download/onlinedocs/

Incidentally, that page allows you to chose which you want to look at
(at the top, you see links to "most recent branch" and "current").

Joel

Re: gdb online manuals

Jonny Grant

On 15/07/2020 19:39, Joel Brobecker wrote:

>> Is the gdb version 9 manual online? I could only find the latest development version online from this page https://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/
>
> We are aware that the documentation page is a bit confusing and that
> it could use some love but unfortunately, it's tied to scripts
> that run nightly as well as the release process, and we're lacking
> resources to tackle that.
>
> In the meantime, the page you reference above has a line that points
> you to the documentation of the latest release:
> https://sourceware.org/gdb/download/onlinedocs/
>
> Incidentally, that page allows you to chose which you want to look at
> (at the top, you see links to "most recent branch" and "current").

Hello Joel

Thank you for the tip.
Ok, I saw version 9 is documented here now:
https://sourceware.org/gdb/onlinedocs/gdb/index.html

I noticed "refcard" and "stack_frame" only have gz versions. refcard.pdf.gz is actually only 1000 bytes smaller compressed, maybe simpler just to show it as a PDF? At least it shows in the browser then.

stack_frame.pdf.gz is 7000 bytes smaller. I'm sure the web-browser would download it via http compression anyway.

Thank you
Jonny

Re: gdb online manuals

Joel Brobecker
> Thank you for the tip.
> Ok, I saw version 9 is documented here now:
> https://sourceware.org/gdb/onlinedocs/gdb/index.html
>

> I noticed "refcard" and "stack_frame" only have gz versions. refcard.pdf.gz is actually only 1000 bytes smaller compressed, maybe simpler just to show it as a PDF? At least it shows in the browser then.
>
> stack_frame.pdf.gz is 7000 bytes smaller. I'm sure the web-browser would download it via http compression anyway.

I finally had some time to look at this today; as it turns out,
it's just not refcard of stack_frame that don't compress well,
it's all PDF files. I think the PDF being produced are already
compressed, which explain why gzip doesn't provide much gains.

Given the extra usability, I just changed the generation of the docs
to not compress the pdf files (the rest stays the same, as in those
other formats, it does make a difference).

Joel

Re: gdb online manuals

Jonny Grant

On 21/09/2020 01:38, Joel Brobecker wrote:

>> Thank you for the tip.
>> Ok, I saw version 9 is documented here now:
>> https://sourceware.org/gdb/onlinedocs/gdb/index.html
>>

>> I noticed "refcard" and "stack_frame" only have gz versions. refcard.pdf.gz is actually only 1000 bytes smaller compressed, maybe simpler just to show it as a PDF? At least it shows in the browser then.
>>
>> stack_frame.pdf.gz is 7000 bytes smaller. I'm sure the web-browser would download it via http compression anyway.
>
> I finally had some time to look at this today; as it turns out,
> it's just not refcard of stack_frame that don't compress well,
> it's all PDF files. I think the PDF being produced are already
> compressed, which explain why gzip doesn't provide much gains.
>
> Given the extra usability, I just changed the generation of the docs
> to not compress the pdf files (the rest stays the same, as in those
> other formats, it does make a difference).

Fantastic Joel, Thank you, Jonny