gdb for 64 bit intel solaris 10?

Mark Woollard
Am trying to get gdb configured and built for intel solaris 10 to
work on 64 bit images but am not getting anywhere. Is this a
supported platform? I can get a successful 32 bit debugger wtih 6.2.1
but no success for 64 bit with either 6.2.1 or 6.3. Am compiling with
gcc 4.0.2 configured to use gas and sun ld.

Thanks
Mark

Re: gdb for 64 bit intel solaris 10?

Daniel Jacobowitz-2
On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 03:53:31PM -0500, Mark Woollard wrote:
> Am trying to get gdb configured and built for intel solaris 10 to
> work on 64 bit images but am not getting anywhere. Is this a
> supported platform?

No, nobody has expressed interest in porting GDB to this platform yet
as far as I know.

Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC

Re: gdb for 64 bit intel solaris 10?

Mark Woollard
OK, thanks for the response...

Mark

On 7 Nov 2005, at 15:58, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 03:53:31PM -0500, Mark Woollard wrote:
>> Am trying to get gdb configured and built for intel solaris 10 to
>> work on 64 bit images but am not getting anywhere. Is this a
>> supported platform?
>
> No, nobody has expressed interest in porting GDB to this platform yet
> as far as I know.
>
> --
> Daniel Jacobowitz
> CodeSourcery, LLC

Re: gdb for 64 bit intel solaris 10?

Mark Kettenis
> Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 15:58:48 -0500
> From: Daniel Jacobowitz <[hidden email]>
>
> On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 03:53:31PM -0500, Mark Woollard wrote:
> > Am trying to get gdb configured and built for intel solaris 10 to
> > work on 64 bit images but am not getting anywhere. Is this a
> > supported platform?
>
> No, nobody has expressed interest in porting GDB to this platform yet
> as far as I know.

On the contrary.  Support for Solaris 10 x86, including support for
debugging 64-bit applications was contributed some time ago, and will
be in GDB 6.4.  Incidentally now would be a good time to check whether
it works correctly.  You can grab a snapshot at:

ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/gdb/snapshots/current/gdb-6.3.50.20051107.tar.bz2

Please make sure that you configure and build it using a 64-bit
compiler.  Setting:

$ export CC="gcc -m64"

before running configure should do the trick.

Mark

Re: gdb for 64 bit intel solaris 10?

Joel Brobecker
> On the contrary.  Support for Solaris 10 x86, including support for
> debugging 64-bit applications was contributed some time ago, and will
> be in GDB 6.4.  Incidentally now would be a good time to check whether
> it works correctly.  You can grab a snapshot at:
>
> ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/gdb/snapshots/current/gdb-6.3.50.20051107.tar.bz2

Actually, would you mind trying (if Mark is OK with this):

ftp://sourceware.org:/pub/gdb/snapshots/branch/gdb.tar.bz2

This is a pre-version of the the upcoming 6.4 release. It's also very
close to the tarball Mark pointed out.

Joel

Re: gdb for 64 bit intel solaris 10?

Mark Kettenis
> Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 14:06:37 -0800
> From: Joel Brobecker <[hidden email]>
>
> > On the contrary.  Support for Solaris 10 x86, including support for
> > debugging 64-bit applications was contributed some time ago, and will
> > be in GDB 6.4.  Incidentally now would be a good time to check whether
> > it works correctly.  You can grab a snapshot at:
> >
> > ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/gdb/snapshots/current/gdb-6.3.50.20051107.tar.bz2
>
> Actually, would you mind trying (if Mark is OK with this):

Sure, no problem.

Mark

On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 10:36:50PM +0100, Mark Kettenis wrote:
> On the contrary.  Support for Solaris 10 x86, including support for
> debugging 64-bit applications was contributed some time ago, and will
> be in GDB 6.4.

Oops!  Thanks, Mark.

Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC

Re: gdb for 64 bit intel solaris 10?

Joel Brobecker
> On the contrary.  Support for Solaris 10 x86, including support for
> debugging 64-bit applications was contributed some time ago, and will
> be in GDB 6.4.

Would that be worth a NEWS entry?

Joel

Re: gdb for 64 bit intel solaris 10?

Eli Zaretskii
> Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 14:34:51 -0800
> From: Joel Brobecker <[hidden email]>
> Cc: [hidden email], [hidden email], [hidden email]
>
> > On the contrary.  Support for Solaris 10 x86, including support for
> > debugging 64-bit applications was contributed some time ago, and will
> > be in GDB 6.4.
>
> Would that be worth a NEWS entry?

Yes, I think so.