gdb autoconf question (gdb/nlm subdirectory)

gdb autoconf question (gdb/nlm subdirectory)

Steve Ellcey

I am looking at what version of autoconf parts of the src tree are using
because I want to update libtool and that requires that everything use a
autoconf 2.5 or later.

Almost all of gdb is using autoconf 2.59, but the gdb/nlm directory, for
some reason, is still configured with autoconf 2.13.  Does anyone know
why?

I ran autoconf 2.59 on the current configure.in file in gdb/nlm and it
seemed to work OK.  I didn't get any errors or warnings from autoconf.
The resulting configure file is quite different due to changes between
autoconf 2.13 and 2.59 but it looked OK and I didn't do anymore testing
because it looks like this subdirectory is only used by netware targets
and I don't have one of those.

Does anyone know why the gdb/nlm subdirectory couldn't be changed to use
autoconf 2.59?

Steve Ellcey

Re: gdb autoconf question (gdb/nlm subdirectory)

Daniel Jacobowitz-2
On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 03:04:53PM -0800, Steve Ellcey wrote:

> I am looking at what version of autoconf parts of the src tree are using
> because I want to update libtool and that requires that everything use a
> autoconf 2.5 or later.
>
> Almost all of gdb is using autoconf 2.59, but the gdb/nlm directory, for
> some reason, is still configured with autoconf 2.13.  Does anyone know
> why?
>
> I ran autoconf 2.59 on the current configure.in file in gdb/nlm and it
> seemed to work OK.  I didn't get any errors or warnings from autoconf.
> The resulting configure file is quite different due to changes between
> autoconf 2.13 and 2.59 but it looked OK and I didn't do anymore testing
> because it looks like this subdirectory is only used by netware targets
> and I don't have one of those.
>
> Does anyone know why the gdb/nlm subdirectory couldn't be changed to use
> autoconf 2.59?

Not I.  But, in fact, I know no reason why it couldn't be removed,
either - I don't have any idea if that code still works and I haven't
heard of anyone using it.

In the mean time, we can probably just upgrade it, but let's wait a
little bit to see if anyone else has an opinion.

Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery

Re: gdb autoconf question (gdb/nlm subdirectory)

Stan Shebs
Steve Ellcey wrote:

>I am looking at what version of autoconf parts of the src tree are using
>because I want to update libtool and that requires that everything use a
>autoconf 2.5 or later.
>
>Almost all of gdb is using autoconf 2.59, but the gdb/nlm directory, for
>some reason, is still configured with autoconf 2.13.  Does anyone know
>why?

Inertia, I'm sure.

>I ran autoconf 2.59 on the current configure.in file in gdb/nlm and it
>seemed to work OK.  I didn't get any errors or warnings from autoconf.
>The resulting configure file is quite different due to changes between
>autoconf 2.13 and 2.59 but it looked OK and I didn't do anymore testing
>because it looks like this subdirectory is only used by netware targets
>and I don't have one of those.
>
>Does anyone know why the gdb/nlm subdirectory couldn't be changed to use
>autoconf 2.59?

I think that if you could successfully build an nlmstub (which only
requires a cross compiler I think?), that would be a good enough
criterion for updating the autoconf requirement.

Stan

Re: gdb autoconf question (gdb/nlm subdirectory)

Ian Lance Taylor
Steve Ellcey <[hidden email]> writes:

> Does anyone know why the gdb/nlm subdirectory couldn't be changed to use
> autoconf 2.59?

Let's please remove the gdb/nlm subdirectory.  I did get it working at
one time, but the possibility that it might still work frightens me.

Ian