flash sector locking

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

flash sector locking

alfred hitch
Hi,

I needed to cross check on a doubt:

For ixdp425 plattform with intel strata J3 flash (which has sector
lock support for protection).

Does redboot by deault do locking of sectors ? or is it a software
lock like u-boot ?

If not, any options which can be turned on and can be expected to work ?

Does linux kernel (arm-linux 2.4.25-x / snapgear 3.1) need to be
changed to make it understand ?
Infact how does it work ? does kernel mtd layer while mounting flash,
detect / scan for locked partitions and handle locking / unlocking
totally transparently from user plane read / write of files ?

Regards,
Alfred


--
Before posting, please read the FAQ: http://ecos.sourceware.org/fom/ecos
and search the list archive: http://ecos.sourceware.org/ml/ecos-discuss

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: flash sector locking

Gary Thomas
On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 22:08 -0500, alfred hitch wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I needed to cross check on a doubt:
>
> For ixdp425 plattform with intel strata J3 flash (which has sector
> lock support for protection).
>
> Does redboot by deault do locking of sectors ? or is it a software
> lock like u-boot ?
>
> If not, any options which can be turned on and can be expected to work ?

RedBoot handles this automatically - if the device can do locking,
it will be available.  "Important" data (FIS and FCONFIG) are kept
locked except when being updated.  Other segments/images will need
to be manually locked and unlocked as necessary.

Use the "fis lock" and "fis unlock" commands for these operations.

>
> Does linux kernel (arm-linux 2.4.25-x / snapgear 3.1) need to be
> changed to make it understand ?
> Infact how does it work ? does kernel mtd layer while mounting flash,
> detect / scan for locked partitions and handle locking / unlocking
> totally transparently from user plane read / write of files ?

You'll need to ask this "linux" question of the Linux folks, sorry.

--
------------------------------------------------------------
Gary Thomas                 |  Consulting for the
MLB Associates              |    Embedded world
------------------------------------------------------------



--
Before posting, please read the FAQ: http://ecos.sourceware.org/fom/ecos
and search the list archive: http://ecos.sourceware.org/ml/ecos-discuss

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: flash sector locking

alfred hitch
Hi Gary,

Thanks for your quick response.
I have seen (as a user only ) the fis commands,
but wanted to be double sure if these commands are on ixdp425 and j3
flash  combo doing HARDWARE protection and not software protection
like u-boot.

Can you please tell me where I shall need to change (and not do by fis
lock script ) in code path for other sectors to be also locked.
A lame would ofcourse be to do so just before calling trampoiline
shooting into kernel,
emulating fis commands -p:)

Regards,
Alfred

On 1/10/06, Gary Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 22:08 -0500, alfred hitch wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I needed to cross check on a doubt:
> >
> > For ixdp425 plattform with intel strata J3 flash (which has sector
> > lock support for protection).
> >
> > Does redboot by deault do locking of sectors ? or is it a software
> > lock like u-boot ?
> >
> > If not, any options which can be turned on and can be expected to work ?
>
> RedBoot handles this automatically - if the device can do locking,
> it will be available.  "Important" data (FIS and FCONFIG) are kept
> locked except when being updated.  Other segments/images will need
> to be manually locked and unlocked as necessary.
>
> Use the "fis lock" and "fis unlock" commands for these operations.
>
> >
> > Does linux kernel (arm-linux 2.4.25-x / snapgear 3.1) need to be
> > changed to make it understand ?
> > Infact how does it work ? does kernel mtd layer while mounting flash,
> > detect / scan for locked partitions and handle locking / unlocking
> > totally transparently from user plane read / write of files ?
>
> You'll need to ask this "linux" question of the Linux folks, sorry.
>
> --
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> Gary Thomas                 |  Consulting for the
> MLB Associates              |    Embedded world
> ------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
>
> --
> Before posting, please read the FAQ: http://ecos.sourceware.org/fom/ecos
> and search the list archive: http://ecos.sourceware.org/ml/ecos-discuss
>
>


--
Before posting, please read the FAQ: http://ecos.sourceware.org/fom/ecos
and search the list archive: http://ecos.sourceware.org/ml/ecos-discuss