errors in libs, undefined reference _dl_cpuclock_offset

errors in libs, undefined reference _dl_cpuclock_offset

Roscinante

Trying to compile certain libs, and linking against them, produces the
error "undefined reference _dl_cpuclock_offset"  ..  For example, a fresh
compile of libxine-1.1.1.

I've been looking for an answer to this problem for a long time. I've only
found reference to this being a binutils and/or libc problem, but not much
in the way of solutions..

My system is (vanilla/slackware) linux 2.4.32 on Pentium2/i686, glibc
2.3.5, gcc 3.2.3.

Apparently libc6 does not include this function for my platform anymore (it
used to)!  Any clues appreciated.

Re: errors in libs, undefined reference _dl_cpuclock_offset

Nick Clifton
Hi Roscinante,

> Trying to compile certain libs, and linking against them, produces the
> error "undefined reference _dl_cpuclock_offset"  ..  For example, a
> fresh compile of libxine-1.1.1.

Usually this kind of problem occurs because a library is not being included
on the linker command line.  The library is usually omitted because the
user is constructing the linker command line for themselves, rather than
allowing GCC to do it.  GCC frequently adds libraries and object files
to the linker command line that the user may not know about.

> Apparently libc6 does not include this function for my platform anymore
> (it used to)!  Any clues appreciated.

If the function used to exist, but has been removed, then this would
imply that it should no longer be used.  So in this case I would suggest
tracking down the function(s) which are still trying to use the deleted
dl_cpuclock_offset function and fix them appropriately.

Cheers
   Nick