errc, warnc

Robert Millan

Hi!

How would you feel about adding errc(), warnc(), verrc() and vwarnc() ?

They're the same as err(), warn(), verr() and vwarn() with the exception that an
additional argument is overrides errno.

These functions were introduced in FreeBSD 3.0 and are not in BSD 4.4 or any
standard, although I think they would be good to have for compatibility.

Want me to send a patch?

Robert Millan

Re: errc, warnc

Ulrich Drepper
Robert Millan wrote:
> Want me to send a patch?

I know of no piece of code which is using the err functions etc.  Adding
more just means adding more unused code.  There are already existing
interfaces to cover the functionality and they should be used.

Re: errc, warnc

Robert Millan
On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 07:39:11AM -0800, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> Robert Millan wrote:
> > Want me to send a patch?
>
> I know of no piece of code which is using the err functions etc.  Adding
> more just means adding more unused code.  There are already existing
> interfaces to cover the functionality and they should be used.

Okay.  I'll try to convince the maintainers of the code in question
(FreeBSD make) to migrate.

--
Robert Millan