ecos configuration for LPC1769

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

ecos configuration for LPC1769

yusuf.husainy
Hi all,

I have just started with eCos recently. I am using a custom board with LPC1769 on it. My requirement is that I have to build and port redboot to the internal flash of LPC1769. This will then serve as a purpose to load any other application(firmware or ecos linked application) to my board via the ethernet connection or UART.

So, I downloaded eCos3.0, and also ecos from anoncvs. Then I followed the instructions told on that webpage and changed my repository to the anoncvs one.  export ECOS_REPOSITORY=/mnt/ecoCVS/ecos/packages.

After that I executed the config tool for ecos3.0, and selected te Olimex 1766-STK as my board. But, I need it for 1769, So, what I would like to know is that, before building redboot(as selected from template menu), where should I make some modifications so that I will be able to use my custom board using LPC1769.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,
Yusuf Husainy.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ecos configuration for LPC1769

Ilija Kocho [Илија Кочо]
Hi yusuf

You need to produce new platform port. For LPC17xx that should be easy.

1. Make a copy of LPC1766 platform and rename it accordingly.
2. Find LPC1766 entries in ecos.db and make respective LPC17xx entries.
There are 2 entries, one for platform and one target.
3. Edit the files in tree produced by 1.

0. Porting is well described in eCos Reference Manual and Component
Writer's Guide ( ref: http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs.html ) as well as
in Masa's book

Have fun.

Ilija

On 23.05.2013 09:27, yusuf.husainy wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have just started with eCos recently. I am using a custom board with
> LPC1769 on it. My requirement is that I have to build and port redboot to
> the internal flash of LPC1769. This will then serve as a purpose to load any
> other application(firmware or ecos linked application) to my board via the
> ethernet connection or UART.
>
> So, I downloaded eCos3.0, and also ecos from anoncvs. Then I followed the
> instructions told on that webpage and changed my repository to the anoncvs
> one.  export ECOS_REPOSITORY=/mnt/ecoCVS/ecos/packages.
>
> After that I executed the config tool for ecos3.0, and selected te Olimex
> 1766-STK as my board. But, I need it for 1769, So, what I would like to know
> is that, before building redboot(as selected from template menu), where
> should I make some modifications so that I will be able to use my custom
> board using LPC1769.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Yusuf Husainy.
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://sourceware-org.1504.n7.nabble.com/ecos-configuration-for-LPC1769-tp233012.html
> Sent from the Sourceware - ecos-discuss mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>


--
Before posting, please read the FAQ: http://ecos.sourceware.org/fom/ecos
and search the list archive: http://ecos.sourceware.org/ml/ecos-discuss

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ecos configuration for LPC1769

yusuf.husainy
Hi Ilija Kocho,

Thanks for the timely reply, i appreciate it.

I will go through the documentation you have suggested. Also, as you said, LPC17xx porting will be easy, as it is supported, but the specific processor variant for LPC1769 is not supported. I was going through the lpc1766stk_misc.c file in the HAL of LPC17xx, and over there most of the macros used were 17xx type. Also, in the files, mlt_cortexm_lpc1766_rom.h and mlt_cortexm_lpc1766_rom.c, i just edited the end address of the flash to 0x00080000(512KB) from 0x00040000(256KB), as LPC1769 has 512KB flash compared to LPC1766, which has 256KB flash, rest all features are same, except also for the MAX clk hz(120MHz for 1769 and 100MHz for 1766), but I am using 20MHz for my board design, so I don't think that would be a problem.

I would appreciate your comments in this regard also.

Thanks and Regards,
Yusuf Husainy.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ecos configuration for LPC1769

Ilija Kocho [Илија Кочо]
On 23.05.2013 12:29, yusuf.husainy wrote:

> Hi Ilija Kocho,
>
> Thanks for the timely reply, i appreciate it.
>
> I will go through the documentation you have suggested. Also, as you said,
> LPC17xx porting will be easy, as it is supported, but the specific processor
> variant for LPC1769 is not supported. I was going through the
> lpc1766stk_misc.c file in the HAL of LPC17xx, and over there most of the
> macros used were 17xx type. Also, in the files, mlt_cortexm_lpc1766_rom.h
> and mlt_cortexm_lpc1766_rom.c, i just edited the end address of the flash to
> 0x00080000(512KB) from 0x00040000(256KB), as LPC1769 has 512KB flash
> compared to LPC1766, which has 256KB flash, rest all features are same,

You are on a good way. Typically it is necessary to adapt memory layout
files to what you have in your hardware.

> except also for the MAX clk hz(120MHz for 1769 and 100MHz for 1766), but I

Perhaps we could make a little update in for 120MHz. Thanks.

> am using 20MHz for my board design, so I don't think that would be a
> problem.

That's it. You can start using it. Serial port and Ethernet should work
out of box.
Just a bit about serial port. Please note that eCos has two kinds of
serial drivers: diagnostic (polled) and real device driver (interrupt
driven). In default setting the real serial driver is disabled so what
you see is diagnostic driver. It is good during development process, but
for the application (production) you should use the interrupt driven.
You shall find more about this in eCos documentation.

Ilija


--
Before posting, please read the FAQ: http://ecos.sourceware.org/fom/ecos
and search the list archive: http://ecos.sourceware.org/ml/ecos-discuss