eCos port/update for MIPS malta & sead3 platforms

eCos port/update for MIPS malta & sead3 platforms

Chiou, Charles
Hello,

I would like to submit patches to update the support for MIPS platforms on the
boards Malta and SEAD3. Specifically, the patches will:

        - Update outdated drivers for proper hardware support on modern malta
        - Support the SEAD3 board
        - Retain compatibility with QEMU's malta emulator
        - Support the newest mips-sde-elf-gcc toolchain (Sourcery CodeBench Lite 2012.03-64)
        - Support running eCos in MicroMIPS
        - Verified to boot from Yamon and u-boot

Since we only focused on booting from Yamon and u-boot, we only tested
RAM configurations. However, if RedBoot support is required, we can work with
the maintainer to get a clean patch in, too.

Please let me know how I can proceed with sending the patch upstream.

Thank you!

Best,
Charles Chiou

Re: eCos port/update for MIPS malta & sead3 platforms

John Dallaway-2
Charles

Thank you for getting in touch.

On 03/12/12 12:49, Chiou, Charles wrote:

> I would like to submit patches to update the support for MIPS platforms on the
> boards Malta and SEAD3.

That's great news.

> Specifically, the patches will:
>
>         - Update outdated drivers for proper hardware support on modern malta
>         - Support the SEAD3 board
>         - Retain compatibility with QEMU's malta emulator

I have experimented with QEMU's Malta emulation and the eCos
malta_mips32_4kc target in the past. I was able to boot RedBoot but
QEMU's PCI support (required for eCos/RedBoot networking) seemed to be
broken. Is this working now?

>         - Support the newest mips-sde-elf-gcc toolchain (Sourcery CodeBench Lite 2012.03-64)

Does your current eCos code continue to build with the eCos
mipsisa32-elf toolchain (GCC 4.3.2)?

> Since we only focused on booting from Yamon and u-boot, we only tested
> RAM configurations. However, if RedBoot support is required, we can work with
> the maintainer to get a clean patch in, too.

It would be good to support RedBoot, certainly we would wish to avoid
breaking the existing RedBoot support for MIPS Malta.

> Please let me know how I can proceed with sending the patch upstream.

The procedure for contributing to eCos (via a Bugzilla report) is
described at:

   http://ecos.sourceware.org/fom-serv/ecos/cache/45.html

John Dallaway
eCos maintainer
http://www.dallaway.org.uk/john

RE: eCos port/update for MIPS malta & sead3 platforms

Chiou, Charles
Hi John,

> > Specifically, the patches will:
> >
> >         - Update outdated drivers for proper hardware support on modern
> malta
> >         - Support the SEAD3 board
> >         - Retain compatibility with QEMU's malta emulator
>
> I have experimented with QEMU's Malta emulation and the eCos
> malta_mips32_4kc target in the past. I was able to boot RedBoot but QEMU's
> PCI support (required for eCos/RedBoot networking) seemed to be broken. Is
> this working now?

Yes, we've fixed this problem. The QEMU and real hardware addresses are different, but we've created different configs so that both are supported.

> >         - Support the newest mips-sde-elf-gcc toolchain (Sourcery
> > CodeBench Lite 2012.03-64)
>
> Does your current eCos code continue to build with the eCos mipsisa32-elf
> toolchain (GCC 4.3.2)?

No. Building with mipsisa32-elf hasn't been verified. I'll give it a try.

> > Since we only focused on booting from Yamon and u-boot, we only tested
> > RAM configurations. However, if RedBoot support is required, we can
> > work with the maintainer to get a clean patch in, too.
>
> It would be good to support RedBoot, certainly we would wish to avoid
> breaking the existing RedBoot support for MIPS Malta.

Ok, I'll try with RedBoot, too.

> > Please let me know how I can proceed with sending the patch upstream.
>
> The procedure for contributing to eCos (via a Bugzilla report) is described at:
>
>    http://ecos.sourceware.org/fom-serv/ecos/cache/45.html

I'll send the existing patch as is and get some feedback while the items mentioned above are being investigated from our end.

Thank you!

--
Best,
Charles Chiou