eCos port to Cobra 5329

Liam Knight
Hello

I have started a BSP for senTec's COBRA5329 starter kit for eCos.

I was using the uClinux dragonfire gcc compiler
(m68k-uclinux-gcc-4.1.1) but noticed you have a more recent 4.3.2
m68k-elf toolchain which I switched to but it will not run on a 64-bit
system by default:
$ m68k-elf-gcc -v
bash: m68k-elf-gcc: /lib/ld-linux.so.2: bad ELF interpreter: No such
file or directory
$

Your instructions in http://ecos.sourceware.org/getstart.html say you
need to install the libstdc++ v3 compatibility package but make no
mention that the tools are built for 32bit linux and so also require
the 32-bit version of glibc on 64-bit systems. You may wish to update
your instruction on that web page as 64-bit systems are rapidly
becoming the norm so many users will fall foul of this.

The problem is easily fixed on Fedora:
$ yum install ld-linux.so.2

which you should add to the web page for 64-bit installations.

LK

Re: eCos port to Cobra 5329

Tomas Frydrych-6
Hi,

On 08/12/11 05:36, Liam Knight wrote:
> Your instructions in http://ecos.sourceware.org/getstart.html say you
> need to install the libstdc++ v3 compatibility package but make no
> mention that the tools are built for 32bit linux and so also require
> the 32-bit version of glibc on 64-bit systems. You may wish to update
> your instruction on that web page as 64-bit systems are rapidly
> becoming the norm so many users will fall foul of this.

I'd go further and say that 64-bit linux systems are and have been the
norm for a while now :-) -- I think it would be desirable to provide
native 64 bit packages rather than instructions on how to work around
the problem.

Tomas

eCos host tools on 64-bit Linux [ was Re: eCos port to Cobra 5329 ]

John Dallaway-2
Liam

Liam Knight wrote:

> Your instructions in http://ecos.sourceware.org/getstart.html say you
> need to install the libstdc++ v3 compatibility package but make no
> mention that the tools are built for 32bit linux and so also require
> the 32-bit version of glibc on 64-bit systems. You may wish to update
> your instruction on that web page as 64-bit systems are rapidly
> becoming the norm so many users will fall foul of this.

Thank you for reporting this. I have updated the getting started page.
To be clear, installing the 32-bit libstdc++ library (required for the
eCos host tools) should also bring in 32-bit glibc and loader.

John Dallaway
eCos maintainer
http://www.dallaway.org.uk/john