eCos on x86

Venky-3
Hi,

I am very new to embedded domain and just started with eCos.

I created Redboot boot Floppy disk using eCos2.0.

While booting target with Redboot floppy it gives

"no network interface found"

message.

I am using Intel P4 HT 2.8 processor with Intel 915 GV motherboard as
target and onboard Ethernet. (For learning purpose)

I am missing anything, or eCos can support only Intel 82559 Ethernet
controller?

Thanks,
S.Venkatakrishna
Senior Project Engineer,
Soliton Technologies Pvt.Ltd,
Bangalore

Re: eCos on x86

Andrew Lunn-2
On Tue, Dec 27, 2005 at 12:10:37PM +0530, Venky wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am very new to embedded domain and just started with eCos.
>
> I created Redboot boot Floppy disk using eCos2.0.
>
> While booting target with Redboot floppy it gives
>
> "no network interface found"
>
> message.
>
> I am using Intel P4 HT 2.8 processor with Intel 915 GV motherboard as
> target and onboard Ethernet. (For learning purpose)

And what is this onboard ethernet?

        Andrew

RE: eCos on x86

Venky-3
Hi,

I am not using Intel PCI 82559 Card. I am using 915GV Motherboard build
in Ethernet Port.

For supporting this Ethernet card what should I do? Or for starting I
should go with i82559 Ethernet card?

Some time back I was trying to install Linux for desktop on this
machine. But Linux also not detecting Network and sound card interface
(Tried with Fedora 4 and Madriva) on this PC (P4 HT 3GHz Intel 915 GV
Motherboard).

Thanks,
S.Venkatakrishna

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 05:39:10PM +0530, Venky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am not using Intel PCI 82559 Card. I am using 915GV Motherboard build
> in Ethernet Port.
>
> For supporting this Ethernet card what should I do?

First you need to find out what exactly this ethernet device is. Maybe
you should read the manual for the motherboard or search the
Internet. Once we know what the device is we can tell you if it is
supported or not.

> Or for starting I should go with i82559 Ethernet card?

You could do that as well.

> Some time back I was trying to install Linux for desktop on this
> machine. But Linux also not detecting Network and sound card interface
> (Tried with Fedora 4 and Madriva) on this PC (P4 HT 3GHz Intel 915 GV
> Motherboard).

So it is probably something unusual, so it is less likely that eCos
supports it.

        Andrew