eCos license documentation in final products

eCos license documentation in final products

John K-2
Greetings,

I've been spending the better part of this morning reading about the eCos license and GPL trying to figure out what I need to mention in the documentation for my final product.

For example, suppose I'm making a consumer grade coffee pot that runs eCos. What text do I need to include in the documentation mentioning the use of eCos? Obviously a customer of a coffee pot could care less about what operating system is making their coffee.

Second example, suppose I make a WiFi module that runs eCos. Think of it as a wireless NIC that can be embedded in an IOT device. Then a company who makes window blinds buys my module so their customers can wirelessly control the window blinds. What do I need to provide to the company who is buying my module? Note that they are using my module as a finished "product" - they have no idea or no concern about the OS it's using. Similarly, what would they have to provide to their customers? Note that the end customer is essentially 2 steps removed from the OS - they could care less about which wireless module is embedded in the blinds let alone the OS.

Thanks in advance for the clarification!
John

Re: eCos license documentation in final products

Alex Schuilenburg
On 21/07/15 17:50, John K wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I've been spending the better part of this morning reading about the eCos license and GPL trying to figure out what I need to mention in the documentation for my final product.
>
> For example, suppose I'm making a consumer grade coffee pot that runs eCos. What text do I need to include in the documentation mentioning the use of eCos? Obviously a customer of a coffee pot could care less about what operating system is making their coffee.
>
> Second example, suppose I make a WiFi module that runs eCos. Think of it as a wireless NIC that can be embedded in an IOT device. Then a company who makes window blinds buys my module so their customers can wirelessly control the window blinds. What do I need to provide to the company who is buying my module? Note that they are using my module as a finished "product" - they have no idea or no concern about the OS it's using. Similarly, what would they have to provide to their customers? Note that the end customer is essentially 2 steps removed from the OS - they could care less about which wireless module is embedded in the blinds let alone the OS.
>
> Thanks in advance for the clarification!

Since I have not seen a response on the list from any of the
maintainers, we have a section on our website which includes a license
compliance guide for eCos.  See
http://www.ecoscentric.com/licensing/license-compliance-guide.shtml

HTH
-- Alex