debian-problem (stretch/buster): Missing "-dbgsym", cannot run SystemTap

debian-problem (stretch/buster): Missing "-dbgsym", cannot run SystemTap

webman
Hello!

I am asking, if probably someone has a better solution
to install SystemTap right on Debian, then that, what
I read in stat-prep or the wiki.

I followed the instructions, added the required sources to
"sources.list", but there are no "-dbgsym" packages for the
kernels I use (which are NOT custom build). On both my
boxes, the "*-amd64-dbg" files are installed. I do not want
to build a custom kernel, this would be too far out
of my experience (for the next years .).

I looked around for hours, but the Debian packaging
looks like a big PITA for me.

Astoundingly, simple scripts
run on Buster (Systemtap 4.0, linux-image-4.19.0-6-amd64-dbg), but
not on Stretch (Systemtap 3.1, linux-image-4.19.0-0.bpo.6-amd64-dbg),
which I cannot upgrade in the near future.

Thanks anyway,
Manfred

(Second attempt - first mail didnt arrive on the list).

Re: debian-problem (stretch/buster): Missing "-dbgsym", cannot run SystemTap

Sourceware - systemtap mailing list
On 20/03 06:24, [hidden email] wrote:
> simple scripts run on Buster (Systemtap 4.0,
> linux-image-4.19.0-6-amd64-dbg), but not on Stretch (Systemtap 3.1,
> linux-image-4.19.0-0.bpo.6-amd64-dbg), which I cannot upgrade in the
> near future.

Oh I see, you are running stretch with Linux 4.19 from backports. The
systemtap version in stretch (3.1) isn't compatible with that kernel. I
have built the latest systemtap for stretch and uploaded it to
stretch-backports. It is going to take some days for it to be available,
as it has to go through the "new" queue:
https://ftp-master.debian.org/backports-new.html

For the time being you may want to reboot into the Linux kernel released
with stretch (4.9), you will find that systemtap 3.1 works fine with
such version.

If you have any suggestions for how to improve the instructions
available on the wiki please let me know, or of course feel free to go
ahead and edit the page yourself. :)
https://wiki.debian.org/SystemTap

Thanks,
  Emanuele