debian-problem (stretch/buster): Missing "-dbgsym", cannot run SystemTap

debian-problem (stretch/buster): Missing "-dbgsym", cannot run SystemTap

webman
Hello!

I am asking, if probably someone has a better solution
to install SystemTap right on Debian, then that, what
I read in stat-prep or the wiki.

I followed the instructions, added the required sources to
"sources.list", but there are no "-dbgsym" packages for the
kernels I use (which are NOT custom build). On both my
boxes, the "-dbg" files are installed. I do not want
to build a custom kernel, this would be too far out
of my experience (for the next years .).

I looked around for hours, but the Debian packaging
looks like a big PITA for me.

Astoundingly, simple scripts run on Buster, but not
on Stretch (which I cannot upgrade in the near future).

Thanks anyway,
Manfred

Re: debian-problem (stretch/buster): Missing "-dbgsym", cannot run SystemTap

Sourceware - systemtap mailing list
Hi,

On 13/03 02:10, [hidden email] wrote:
> I followed the instructions, added the required sources to
> "sources.list", but there are no "-dbgsym" packages for the
> kernels I use (which are NOT custom build). On both my
> boxes, the "-dbg" files are installed. I do not want
> to build a custom kernel, this would be too far out
> of my experience (for the next years .).

When it comes to the kernel, there is no -dbgsym package to install,
just the -dbg. See http://www.linux.it/~ema/systemtap-intro.html

Please paste your sources.list as well as the output of the following
commands:

uname -a
dpkg -l linux-image-\* | grep ^ii
apt-cache policy systemtap

Thanks!
  Emanuele

<[hidden email]> writes:

> [...]
> I looked around for hours, but the Debian packaging
> looks like a big PITA for me.
> Astoundingly, simple scripts run on Buster, but not
> on Stretch (which I cannot upgrade in the near future).

Yeah, it's clumsy.

If you are able, consider installing elfutils 0.178 or git-master
elfutils.  You can build it into a private directory and direct
systemtap to use it with $LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  With that available,
existing systemtap binaries can access our debuginfod server, and fetch
debug data for a selection of debian kernels.

https://sourceware.org/elfutils/Debuginfod.html

- FChE