cosmetic install question

Aleksandar Milivojevic
Hi,

I've noticed that some files get installed in /prefix/target/bin (hard
links to /prefix/bin) and /prefix/target/lib directories.  Where
"target" is triplet such as sparc-sun-solaris2.9 for example.  Is it
possible to configure binutils not to use this target-specific
directory (install directly in /prefix/bin and /prefix/lib)?

Aleksandar Milivojevic

Re: cosmetic install question

Nick Clifton
Hi Aleksandar,

> I've noticed that some files get installed in /prefix/target/bin (hard
> links to /prefix/bin) and /prefix/target/lib directories.  Where
> "target" is triplet such as sparc-sun-solaris2.9 for example.  Is it
> possible to configure binutils not to use this target-specific directory
> (install directly in /prefix/bin and /prefix/lib)?

Yes.  Try setting --exec-prefix as well as --prefix.

Cheers
   Nick

Re: cosmetic install question

Aleksandar Milivojevic
Hi Nick,

> Hi Aleksandar,
>
>> I've noticed that some files get installed in /prefix/target/bin
>> (hard links to /prefix/bin) and /prefix/target/lib directories.
>> Where "target" is triplet such as sparc-sun-solaris2.9 for example.
>> Is it possible to configure binutils not to use this target-specific
>> directory (install directly in /prefix/bin and /prefix/lib)?
>
> Yes.  Try setting --exec-prefix as well as --prefix.

Thanks for the sugestion.  I've attempted to do that, however target
specific /prefix/sparc-sun-solaris2.9 directory still gets created.  It
has bin subdirectory with hardlinks back to /prefix/bin and
lib/ldscripts subdirectory.  I'd like to have it in /prefix/bin and
/prefix/lib/ldscripts only (like on my Linux systems).

Re: cosmetic install question

Nick Clifton
Hi Aleksandar,

> Thanks for the sugestion.  I've attempted to do that, however target
> specific /prefix/sparc-sun-solaris2.9 directory still gets created.  It
> has bin subdirectory with hardlinks back to /prefix/bin and
> lib/ldscripts subdirectory.  I'd like to have it in /prefix/bin and
> /prefix/lib/ldscripts only (like on my Linux systems).

Ah - you will need to set tooldir then when you build.  eg:

   configure --quiet --prefix=/prefix
   make tooldir=/prefix all-ld all-gas all-binutils install-ld
install-gas  install-binutils

NB/ Of course you must be careful not to install binaries for other
targets using this method as they will overwrite each other.

Cheers
   Nick