arm-eabi-gdb crashes

Buehler, Fabian
Hi,
I tried to use the gdb which is part of the eCos installation within cygwin. So it should be obvious that I'm using Windows (XP). If I tried to execute the gdb by calling it inside the command line or the cygwin shell it crashes with the following message:

$ arm-eabi-gdb
/opt/ecos/gnutools/arm-eabi/bin/arm-eabi-gdb.exe: error while loading shared libraries: cygncurses-8.dll: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So does anybody have an idea about that issue?

Anyway I want to ask if there is a newer gnu toolchain than the one provided with the ecos3.0 installation!

Kind Regards
Fabian Buehler

Re: arm-eabi-gdb crashes

Felix R
Have you installed the gdb-package for cygwin?

Of course you can use newer toolchains. Look if your microcontrollers producer offers a newer version.

Re: arm-eabi-gdb crashes

John Dallaway-2
Hi Fabian

On 29/05/13 15:44, Buehler, Fabian wrote:

> I tried to use the gdb which is part of the eCos installation within
> cygwin. So it should be obvious that I'm using Windows (XP). If I
> tried to execute the gdb by calling it inside the command line or the
> cygwin shell it crashes with the following message:
>
> $ arm-eabi-gdb
> /opt/ecos/gnutools/arm-eabi/bin/arm-eabi-gdb.exe: error while loading
> shared libraries: cygncurses-8.dll: cannot open shared object file:
> No such file or directory
>
> So does anybody have an idea about that issue?

The missing DLL is provided by the "libncurses8" Cygwin package. This is
normally installed as a dependency of one of the other Cygwin packages
required for eCos development. Regardless, you should be able to add the
package to your existing Cygwin installation using the Cygwin setup tool.

> Anyway I want to ask if there is a newer gnu toolchain than the one
> provided with the ecos3.0 installation!

There is a more recent test release of the eCos arm-eabi GNU tools. Ref:

  http://ecos.sourceware.org/ml/ecos-discuss/2012-06/msg00047.html

I hope this helps...

John Dallaway
eCos maintainer
http://www.dallaway.org.uk/john

RE: arm-eabi-gdb crashes

Buehler, Fabian
Hi John
Thanks for the information! Now the gdb is running!

Regards
Fabian Buehler