add vulcan support to gas

Virendra Pathak
Hi binutils group,

We have a patch for adding -mcpu=vulcan support to gas.
Broadcom's Vulcan is a armv8-a aarch64 served based processor.
We have also got company wide FSF agreement for contributing to
binutils project.

However, recently I read on this group that now gcc does not pass
-mcpu flag to binutils. GCC now passes -march flag to binutils.
I verified this by compiling a simple hello world inspecting the
assembler flags.
[https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2015-08/msg01106.html]
[https://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2015-08/msg00169.html]

Keeping this in mind, do we still need to add -mcpu=vulcan support to
gas, given that many armv8-a vendors have done it?
Kindly guide me on this.

Please also find the patch (-mcpu=vulcan) attached with this mail for review.
Tested the patch with aarch64-linux-gnu cross build,
aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu native build and make check (ld,gdb,gas,binutils).
Also verified the new option via command line.

Thanks for your time.

gas/ChangeLog:
* config/tc-aarch64.c (aarch64_cpus): Add vulcan.
* doc/c-aarch64.texi : Document that vulcan is a valid processor name

with regards,
Virendra Pathak

0001-aarch64-add-vulcan-support-to-gas.patch.txt (1K) Download Attachment

Re: add vulcan support to gas

Syed Faisal Akber

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

with regards,
Virendra Pathak

Re: add vulcan support to gas

Marcus
On 7 June 2016 at 14:10, Syed Faisal Akber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

Hi, The patch appears to be missing ?

> Tested the patch with aarch64-linux-gnu cross build,
> aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu native build and make check (ld,gdb,gas,binutils).
> Also verified the new option via command line.
>
> Thanks for your time.
>

> gas/ChangeLog:
> * config/tc-aarch64.c (aarch64_cpus): Add vulcan.
> * doc/c-aarch64.texi : Document that vulcan is a valid processor name

The proposed changelog entry is missing the author line.

Thanks
/Marcus

> with regards,
> Virendra Pathak

Re: add vulcan support to gas

Virendra Pathak
Hi Marcus,

1) I have attached the binutils patch in the first mail
(https://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2016-06/msg00064.html)
Attaching in this mail too . Corresponding GCC patch is here
https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2016-06/msg00541.html

2) Added the author entry in the ChangeLog

gas/ChangeLog:
Virendra Pathak ([hidden email])
* config/tc-aarch64.c (aarch64_cpus): Add vulcan.
* doc/c-aarch64.texi : Document that vulcan is a valid processor name
with regards,
Virendra Pathak

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 4:58 AM, Marcus Shawcroft
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 7 June 2016 at 14:10, Syed Faisal Akber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

Please find the ChangeLog in the correct format.

gas/ChangeLog:

Virendra Pathak  <[hidden email]>
        * config/tc-aarch64.c (aarch64_cpus): Add vulcan.
        * doc/c-aarch64.texi : Document that vulcan is a valid processor name

Thanks.

with regards,
Virendra Pathak

On 8 June 2016 at 06:35, Virendra Pathak <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Marcus,
>
> 1) I have attached the binutils patch in the first mail

Hi,

Thanks for the patch, I have a couple of minor comments:

+  {"vulcan", AARCH64_FEATURE (AARCH64_ARCH_V8,
+                              AARCH64_FEATURE_CRC | AARCH64_FEATURE_CRYPTO),
+  "Broadcom Vulcan"},
   {"thunderx", AARCH64_FEATURE (AARCH64_ARCH_V8,

Please add vulcan in alphabetical order.

 @code{qdf24xx},
+@code{vulcan},
 @code{thunderx},

Likewise.

> 2) Added the author entry in the ChangeLog
>
> gas/ChangeLog:
> Virendra Pathak ([hidden email])
> * config/tc-aarch64.c (aarch64_cpus): Add vulcan.

> * doc/c-aarch64.texi : Document that vulcan is a valid processor name

No space between before the ':', full stop at the end of the sentence.

Thanks
/Marcus

Re: add vulcan support to gas

Virendra Pathak
Hi Marcus,

Thanks for the review.
Please find the updated patch (attached with this mail) with vulcan
name in alphabetical order.
Also fixed the ChangeLog. Please review it.

gas/ChangeLog:

Virendra Pathak <[hidden email]>

        * config/tc-aarch64.c (aarch64_cpus): Add vulcan.
        * doc/c-aarch64.texi: Document that vulcan is a valid processor name.

Thanks.

with regards,
Virendra Pathak

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 1:29 PM, Marcus Shawcroft
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 8 June 2016 at 06:35, Virendra Pathak <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Marcus,
>>
>> 1) I have attached the binutils patch in the first mail
>
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the patch, I have a couple of minor comments:
>

> +  {"vulcan", AARCH64_FEATURE (AARCH64_ARCH_V8,
> +                              AARCH64_FEATURE_CRC | AARCH64_FEATURE_CRYPTO),
> +  "Broadcom Vulcan"},
>    {"thunderx", AARCH64_FEATURE (AARCH64_ARCH_V8,
>
> Please add vulcan in alphabetical order.
>
>  @code{qdf24xx},
> +@code{vulcan},
>  @code{thunderx},
>
> Likewise.
>
>> 2) Added the author entry in the ChangeLog
>>
>> gas/ChangeLog:
>> Virendra Pathak ([hidden email])
>> * config/tc-aarch64.c (aarch64_cpus): Add vulcan.
>
>> * doc/c-aarch64.texi : Document that vulcan is a valid processor name
>
> No space between before the ':', full stop at the end of the sentence.
>
> Thanks
> /Marcus

0001-aarch64-add-vulcan-support-to-gas.patch.txt (1K) Download Attachment

Re: add vulcan support to gas

Nick Clifton
Hi Virendra,

> gas/ChangeLog:
> Virendra Pathak <[hidden email]>
>
>         * config/tc-aarch64.c (aarch64_cpus): Add vulcan.
>         * doc/c-aarch64.texi: Document that vulcan is a valid processor name.

Approved and applied.  Thanks for contributing this patch.

From your original posting:

> Keeping this in mind, do we still need to add -mcpu=vulcan support to
> gas, given that many armv8-a vendors have done it?

Yes.  Assembly level programmers may wish to generate their own gas command
lines.  Plus it is entirely possible that one day gcc might pass the -mcpu
option on to gas.

Cheers
   Nick

Re: add vulcan support to gas

Richard Earnshaw (lists)
On 13/06/16 14:20, Nick Clifton wrote:
> Yes.  Assembly level programmers may wish to generate their own gas command
> lines.  Plus it is entirely possible that one day gcc might pass the -mcpu
> option on to gas.

Unlikely.  It would put too onerous a restriction on having the latest
version of GAS installed.  If the compiler needs to support a new
instruction, then obviously GAS has to know how to handle it, but GAS
shouldn't have to know about every CPU that's available for each
architecture in order for the compiler to support them.

That doesn't mean that GAS can't recognize CPU names, just that the
compiler should avoid such a feature.

R.