Volunteer to take over mailing list moderation?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Volunteer to take over mailing list moderation?

Petter Reinholdtsen
I have ran out of time available for moderating the
[hidden email] mailing list.  Any volunteer to take over?

There are very few spam messages showing up, but every mail to the
list have to be approved by replying to the email I receive from the
mailing list system.  The mailing list system is not mailman nor
majordomo.  I am not quite sure what kind of system is being used.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Volunteer to take over mailing list moderation?

Petter Reinholdtsen
[Petter Reinholdtsen 2011-05-09]
> I have ran out of time available for moderating the
> [hidden email] mailing list.  Any volunteer to take over?

No-one have volunteered so far.  If no-one step forward before
2011-06-04, I will most likely start the process to have this list
shut down, as I am unable to find the required time to moderate it,
and all messages need to be manually accepted into the list.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Volunteer to take over mailing list moderation?

Carlos O'Donell-3
On 5/27/2011 5:43 AM, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> [Petter Reinholdtsen 2011-05-09]
>> I have ran out of time available for moderating the
>> [hidden email] mailing list.  Any volunteer to take over?
>
> No-one have volunteered so far.  If no-one step forward before
> 2011-06-04, I will most likely start the process to have this list
> shut down, as I am unable to find the required time to moderate it,
> and all messages need to be manually accepted into the list.
>
> Happy hacking,

Why not ask overseers to remove the moderation requirement and accept
any emails? It's still useful IMO to have somewhere for locale related
conversations to happen. Most people can tolerate some spam.

Cheers,
Carlos.
--
Carlos O'Donell
Mentor Graphics / CodeSourcery
[hidden email]
+1 (613) 963 1026
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Volunteer to take over mailing list moderation?

Petr Baudis
On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 11:53:25AM -0400, Carlos O'Donell wrote:

> On 5/27/2011 5:43 AM, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> >[Petter Reinholdtsen 2011-05-09]
> >>I have ran out of time available for moderating the
> >>[hidden email] mailing list.  Any volunteer to take over?
> >
> >No-one have volunteered so far.  If no-one step forward before
> >2011-06-04, I will most likely start the process to have this list
> >shut down, as I am unable to find the required time to moderate it,
> >and all messages need to be manually accepted into the list.
> >
> >Happy hacking,
>
> Why not ask overseers to remove the moderation requirement and
> accept any emails? It's still useful IMO to have somewhere for
> locale related conversations to happen. Most people can tolerate
> some spam.

I'm not actually sure if it is good idea to have some spawn-off
very low traffic lists. It seems to me that it rather contributes to
more fragmentation in the already very stagnant community. Another way
to look at it is that between last March and now, some 20 mails (except
localedata bug mails) arrived, but no *conversation* has happenned on
the list at all.

I think this is no good. Instead of redirecting people interested in
locales to a list that is used for reporting problems, but not for
solving them, it would be better to have this kind of discussion on
libc-help and libc-alpha, where it may become apparent even to people
not primarily interested in locales that there are problems in this
area and they need some attention. After all, the traffic really is
rather low.

--
                                Petr "Pasky" Baudis
UNIX is user friendly, it's just picky about who its friends are.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Volunteer to take over mailing list moderation?

Keld Simonsen
In reply to this post by Petter Reinholdtsen
I can volunteer to take over the moderation

Kest regards
Keld Simonsen

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 11:43:39AM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> [Petter Reinholdtsen 2011-05-09]
> > I have ran out of time available for moderating the
> > [hidden email] mailing list.  Any volunteer to take over?
>
> No-one have volunteered so far.  If no-one step forward before
> 2011-06-04, I will most likely start the process to have this list
> shut down, as I am unable to find the required time to moderate it,
> and all messages need to be manually accepted into the list.
>
> Happy hacking,
> --
> Petter Reinholdtsen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Volunteer to take over mailing list moderation?

Carlos O'Donell-3
In reply to this post by Petr Baudis
On 5/27/2011 12:08 PM, Petr Baudis wrote:

> On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 11:53:25AM -0400, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>> On 5/27/2011 5:43 AM, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
>>> [Petter Reinholdtsen 2011-05-09]
>>>> I have ran out of time available for moderating the
>>>> [hidden email] mailing list.  Any volunteer to take over?
>>>
>>> No-one have volunteered so far.  If no-one step forward before
>>> 2011-06-04, I will most likely start the process to have this list
>>> shut down, as I am unable to find the required time to moderate it,
>>> and all messages need to be manually accepted into the list.
>>>
>>> Happy hacking,
>>
>> Why not ask overseers to remove the moderation requirement and
>> accept any emails? It's still useful IMO to have somewhere for
>> locale related conversations to happen. Most people can tolerate
>> some spam.
>
> I'm not actually sure if it is good idea to have some spawn-off
> very low traffic lists. It seems to me that it rather contributes to
> more fragmentation in the already very stagnant community. Another way
> to look at it is that between last March and now, some 20 mails (except
> localedata bug mails) arrived, but no *conversation* has happenned on
> the list at all.
>
> I think this is no good. Instead of redirecting people interested in
> locales to a list that is used for reporting problems, but not for
> solving them, it would be better to have this kind of discussion on
> libc-help and libc-alpha, where it may become apparent even to people
> not primarily interested in locales that there are problems in this
> area and they need some attention. After all, the traffic really is
> rather low.
>

Petr,

I hadn't looked at the traffic on list, but if it's low, then by all
means lets move it to libc-help and libc-alpha.

There is no need to have a separate list for low traffic.

Petter,

When you kill the list, please contact me and I'll update the website
and wiki to redirect locale questions to libc-help.

Cheers,
Carlos.
--
Carlos O'Donell
Mentor Graphics / CodeSourcery
[hidden email]
+1 (613) 963 1026
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Volunteer to take over mailing list moderation?

Petter Reinholdtsen
In reply to this post by Carlos O'Donell-3
[Carlos O'Donell]
> Why not ask overseers to remove the moderation requirement and
> accept any emails? It's still useful IMO to have somewhere for
> locale related conversations to happen. Most people can tolerate
> some spam.

When the list was created, I believe was told that it was not possible
to configure the list any other way.  That is the reason I did not
consider to ask for the moderation to be dropped.

I've noted two volunteers to take over moderation, Dax Solomon Umaming
and Keld Simonsen.  I will hand over the list to them as soon as I
find time to figure out how.

I've noted that Petr Baudis and Carlos O'Donell make good arguments
for removing the list, but am not sure if it is the correct
conclusion.  The list was created in 2004 to fill a need, but I do no
longer remember the arguments (available in the mailing list archive
for those that want to check it out).  Perhaps is the need no longer
present, but I do not really have time to figure it out, and thus
leave it to the new moderators to figure it out.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Please change moderator for the libc-locales@sourceware.org mailing list

Petter Reinholdtsen
Hi.  I am the current moderator of the [hidden email]
mailing list, but no longer have the time required to do the job
properly.

Please change the list configuration to use Dax Solomon Umaming
<knightlust (at) ubuntu.com> and Keld Simonsen <keld (at) rap.rap.dk>
as moderators.  Both have volunteered to take over.

CC to the list to let all subscribers know.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Please change moderator for the libc-locales@sourceware.org mailing list

Petter Reinholdtsen
Hi.  Did this email reach anyone capable of changing the moderator?  I
have not seen any replies so far.

[Petter Reinholdtsen 2011-06-07]
> Hi.  I am the current moderator of the [hidden email]
> mailing list, but no longer have the time required to do the job
> properly.
>
> Please change the list configuration to use Dax Solomon Umaming
> <knightlust (at) ubuntu.com> and Keld Simonsen <keld (at) rap.rap.dk>
> as moderators.  Both have volunteered to take over.
>
> CC to the list to let all subscribers know.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Please change moderator for the libc-locales@sourceware.org mailing list

Christopher Faylor-18
In reply to this post by Petter Reinholdtsen
On Tue, Jun 07, 2011 at 11:27:56AM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
>Hi.  I am the current moderator of the [hidden email]
>mailing list, but no longer have the time required to do the job
>properly.
>
>Please change the list configuration to use Dax Solomon Umaming
><knightlust (at) ubuntu.com> and Keld Simonsen <keld (at) rap.rap.dk>
>as moderators.  Both have volunteered to take over.
>
>CC to the list to let all subscribers know.

Done.