Time for libffi release tarball?

Sourceware - libffi-discuss mailing list
Hello libffi devs!

GHC (http://www.haskell.org/ghc/), a portable haskell compiler,
uses libffi to implement calls into and back from C.

Latest libffi-3.2.1 was released on November 12, 2014.

One of problematic targets is ARMv7 iOS (clang):

A few relevant commits:
    https://github.com/libffi/libffi/commit/bc4fc07aa58df6d7fa90b57d305d58eef96a0416
    https://github.com/libffi/libffi/commit/e3d2812ce43940aacae5bab2d0e965278cb1e7ea

What do you think of releasing libffi tarball with these fixes?

Would it make sense to cut libffi releases roughly at the same
time major gcc releases are cut?

This email is mostly the same ping from
    https://github.com/libffi/libffi/issues/296

Thank you!

--

  Sergei

Re: Time for libffi release tarball?

Matthias Klose-6
On 14.05.2017 03:30, Sergei Trofimovich via libffi-discuss wrote:

> Hello libffi devs!
>
> GHC (http://www.haskell.org/ghc/), a portable haskell compiler,
> uses libffi to implement calls into and back from C.
>
> Latest libffi-3.2.1 was released on November 12, 2014.
>
> One of problematic targets is ARMv7 iOS (clang):
>
> A few relevant commits:
>     https://github.com/libffi/libffi/commit/bc4fc07aa58df6d7fa90b57d305d58eef96a0416
>     https://github.com/libffi/libffi/commit/e3d2812ce43940aacae5bab2d0e965278cb1e7ea
>
> What do you think of releasing libffi tarball with these fixes?
>
> Would it make sense to cut libffi releases roughly at the same
> time major gcc releases are cut?
>
> This email is mostly the same ping from
>     https://github.com/libffi/libffi/issues/296
>
> Thank you!

Two days ago, I did a libffi trunk test build, see
https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=libffi&suite=experimental

found a regression building on x86_64-linux-gnux32 (see issue #306).

Yes, I think a release is really needed, but unfortunately there was no feedback
since my last question from October 2016.  There is the #libffi channel on
Freenode as well, but I didn't see agreen there either for a long time.

Matthias