Threads and the getResult method

Sudarshan S Chawathe
I was trying to use threads as outlined in Section 8.6 ("Threads") of
the manual and was unable to call the getResult method as suggested
there until I added a 'public' modifier to that method's definition in
gnu/mapping/RunnableClosure.java.

I submitted a GitLab pull request, even though this change is trivial,
mainly to exercise that functionality.  It may be preferable to ignore
it and just make the change directly (assuming it is valid).

Regards,

-chaw

Re: Threads and the getResult method

Per Bothner
On 03/18/2017 05:01 PM, Sudarshan S Chawathe wrote:
> I was trying to use threads as outlined in Section 8.6 ("Threads") of
> the manual and was unable to call the getResult method as suggested
> there until I added a 'public' modifier to that method's definition in
> gnu/mapping/RunnableClosure.java.

Oops.  There seems to have been a lack of testing ...

> I submitted a GitLab pull request, even though this change is trivial,
> mainly to exercise that functionality.  It may be preferable to ignore
> it and just make the change directly (assuming it is valid).

Generally, I'm as comfortable (or more so) with patches, since I'm more
familiar with that workflow, especially when I'm the one submitting changes :-)
In this case, since you create a pull request, I'm happy to do it that way
- though a ChangeLog entry would be appreciated.

(I failed to set up Notification properly from GitLab, so I haven't been
getting timely notification of issue and pull question.  Sorry about that.
Hope it's working now.  It's a learning experience ...)
        --Per Bothner

Re: Threads and the getResult method

Sudarshan S Chawathe
> From: Per Bothner <[hidden email]>
> Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2017 23:19:13 -0700

> Generally, I'm as comfortable (or more so) with patches, since I'm
> more familiar with that workflow, especially when I'm the one
> submitting changes :-) In this case, since you create a pull request,
> I'm happy to do it that way - though a ChangeLog entry would be
> appreciated.

I just added a ChangeLog entry to the GitLab repo and it seems to have
made its way to the merge request.

I'll send any future (new) modifications as patches as you suggest.

Regards,

-chaw