Synth target spawning external processes

Synth target spawning external processes

Simon Kallweit
Hello

I was wondering if anyone has written some Tcl/Tk code to spawn external
processes when running the synth target. We currently have a few
external processes to simulate a GPS receiver among other things. These
processes are currently started independent of ecossynth and need to be
up and running when starting the application. This works, but it'd be
nicer to automatically spawn these processes when the application is
started, especially when doing so from the debugger. I think I'll wrap
something up unless there is already a solution out there which I can
build upon.

Best regards,
Simon

Re: Synth target spawning external processes

Sergei Gavrikov-4
On Mon, 17 Oct 2011, Simon Kallweit wrote:

> Hello
>
> I was wondering if anyone has written some Tcl/Tk code to spawn
> external processes when running the synth target. We currently have a
> few external processes to simulate a GPS receiver among other things.
> These processes are currently started independent of ecossynth and
> need to be up and running when starting the application. This works,
> but it'd be nicer to automatically spawn these processes when the
> application is started, especially when doing so from the debugger. I
> think I'll wrap something up unless there is already a solution out
> there which I can build upon.

Hi Simon,

If I understood you correctly that one (lazy) way is to use ecos target
definition files (.tdf files).  You can put Tcl code there (= what you
need).

My brief test was

  % cat >test.tdf<<EOF
exec notify-send Hello &
exec gksudo &
puts hello
EOF

  % watchdog2 -io -t test.tdf

and it worked as I could expect. I saw/got all things.

Well, it looks like a hack. But, as I said that is one and lazy way to
get the needed things in Tcl/Tk (=quickly).

Also, IMO, the same things can be done through .gdbinit.

HTH
Sergei