Status of insight/gdbtk

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Status of insight/gdbtk

Mikhail T.
Hello!

I maintain (or try to) FreeBSD port of insight
<http://www.freshports.org/devel/gdb66>. I'd like to update it to match
a more recent (preferably -- the latest) version of gdb.

When I cleaned-up the port last time (2007), I ended up creating a
number of patches to make gdbtk-6.6 usable with newer versions of Tcl/Tk
and iTk. It seems, a newer version -- 6.8-1 -- is available since 2009,
but that in itself is rather long ago.

Is the project still alive? Does it make sense to keep offering it to
FreeBSD-users, or is it hopelessly incompatible with gdb-7 and nobody
has funding/energy/time to bring it up to date?

    -mi

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Status of insight/gdbtk

Patrick Monnerat
Mikhail T. wrote:
> I maintain (or try to) FreeBSD port of insight
<http://www.freshports.org/devel/gdb66>. I'd like to update it to match
a more recent (preferably -- the latest) version of gdb.

> When I cleaned-up the port last time (2007), I ended up creating a
number of patches to make gdbtk-6.6 usable with newer versions of Tcl/Tk
and iTk. It seems, a newer version -- 6.8-1 -- is available since 2009,
but that in itself is rather long ago.

Try cloning https://github.com/monnerat/insight: it is unofficial, but
up to date with binutils-gdb, tcl, tk, itcl, itk and iwidgets. I'm the
Fedora package maintainer and I've tried to keep it alive there until
now.

> Is the project still alive? Does it make sense to keep offering it to
FreeBSD-users, or is it hopelessly incompatible with gdb-7 and nobody
has funding/energy/time to bring it up to date?

I've been told it is, but I noted it does not breathe much :-(

Regards,
Patrick
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Status of insight/gdbtk

Marco Aurélio da Cruz-2
Hi, Patrick.

On 12/02/2014 11:16 AM, Patrick Monnerat wrote:
> Try cloning https://github.com/monnerat/insight: it is unofficial, but
> up to date with binutils-gdb, tcl, tk, itcl, itk and iwidgets. I'm the
> Fedora package maintainer and I've tried to keep it alive there until
> now.
>> Is the project still alive? Does it make sense to keep offering it to
>>

I followed your instructions and compiled the sources against Sourcery
CodeBench Lite 2014.05 (arm-none-eabi). It compiled fine and almost
everything worked. Just changing the format of variable in the Watch
window from natural to decimal or hexadecimal is not working.


Thank you for the nice job you are doing.


Regards,

Marco


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Status of insight/gdbtk

Patrick Monnerat
 
Marco Aurélio da Cruz wrote:

> Hi, Patrick.
Hi Marco,

> I followed your instructions and compiled the sources against Sourcery CodeBench Lite 2014.05 (arm-none-eabi). It compiled fine and almost everything worked. Just changing the format of variable in the Watch window from natural to decimal or hexadecimal is not working.

Many thanks for the bug report.
This feature disappeared when I introduced the pretty printers. Sorry !
I've now restored this functionality.
https://github.com/monnerat/insight/commit/4911a6b6e157d8056ac2f0729fc0bfaea1787e94
If you upgrade your git clone and recompile, it should be ok.

> Thank you for the nice job you are doing.
You're welcome. And thanks to you for your interest in insight.

Cheers,
Patrick
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Status of insight/gdbtk

Marco Aurélio da Cruz-2

Hi, Patrick.


On 03/10/2015 10:26 AM, Patrick Monnerat wrote:
>> I followed your instructions and compiled the sources against Sourcery CodeBench Lite 2014.05 (arm-none-eabi). It compiled fine and almost everything worked. Just changing the format of variable in the Watch window from natural to decimal or hexadecimal is not working.
> Many thanks for the bug report.
> This feature disappeared when I introduced the pretty printers. Sorry !
> I've now restored this functionality.
> https://github.com/monnerat/insight/commit/4911a6b6e157d8056ac2f0729fc0bfaea1787e94
> If you upgrade your git clone and recompile, it should be ok.

I've compiled it on a Fedora 20 32-bit and it worked perfectly. Thank you.


So, I forgot to tell you before. I can't compile it on a Fedora 20
64-bit. I tried with CFLAGS=-m32 but have no success too.
All Tcl/Tk/Tcl-devel/Tk-devel packgages are installed for x86_64 and .i686.

The errors for 64-bits are bellow.

checking for Tcl configuration... configure: WARNING: Can't find Tcl
configuration definitions
checking for existence of # no Tcl configs found/tclConfig.sh... could
not find # no Tcl configs found/tclConfig.sh
checking for Tk configuration... found /usr/lib64/tkConfig.sh
checking for existence of /usr/lib64/tkConfig.sh... loading
checking for Tcl private headers... configure: error: could not find
private Tcl headers
make[2]: *** [configure-libgui] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/opt/arm-none-eabi/insight/bundle'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/arm-none-eabi/insight/bundle'
make: *** [notarget] Error 2


>> Thank you for the nice job you are doing.
> You're welcome. And thanks to you for your interest in insight.
>
> Cheers,
> Patrick
>

Despite all problems I think Insight is the best GUI to GDB, yet. Mainly
for cross compiling use. Simple and efficient.

Again, thank you for your effort in not let it die. :-)


Regards,

Marco


--
Marco Aurélio da Cruz | Eng. P&D Automação | tel.: 12-3609-5105
Urmet Daruma - Av. Independência, 3500 - Taubaté - SP - CEP 12032-000
www.daruma.com.br

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Status of insight/gdbtk

Keith Seitz
On 03/10/2015 11:15 AM, Marco Aurélio da Cruz wrote:

> The errors for 64-bits are bellow.
>
> checking for Tcl configuration... configure: WARNING: Can't find Tcl
> configuration definitions
> checking for existence of # no Tcl configs found/tclConfig.sh... could
> not find # no Tcl configs found/tclConfig.sh
> checking for Tk configuration... found /usr/lib64/tkConfig.sh
> checking for existence of /usr/lib64/tkConfig.sh... loading
> checking for Tcl private headers... configure: error: could not find
> private Tcl headers
> make[2]: *** [configure-libgui] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/opt/arm-none-eabi/insight/bundle'
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/arm-none-eabi/insight/bundle'
> make: *** [notarget] Error 2

Patrick committed a patch which should have made this work. I build on
F21 all the time nowadays (directly from Patrick's git repo).

Does your repository have patches/binutils-gdb/003-tclconfig.patch? If
so, make sure that all the files were regenerated properly. You can
search for "usrlibdir" in gdb/configure to check. If it isn't in there,
your configure files were not regenerated to include the fix.

Keith
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Status of insight/gdbtk

Patrick Monnerat
In reply to this post by Marco Aurélio da Cruz-2
 
Marco Aurélio da Cruz wrote:

> So, I forgot to tell you before. I can't compile it on a Fedora 20 64-bit. I tried with CFLAGS=-m32 but have no success too.
All Tcl/Tk/Tcl-devel/Tk-devel packgages are installed for x86_64 and .i686.

Fedora 20 x86_64 is the environment on which I do all my work on insight and it works perfectly.
As said Keith, I think your build tree is not clean and that caused the error you mention. Try to do the following things:
- remove the "bundle" subdirectory.
- git pull
- redo the build as mentioned in the README file from the "autoconf" command.

This should work.

Please note that insight is packaged for F20. This is an old version (~6 months) but it works. So if you need insight only for using it, you can just "yum install insight".

Cheers,
Patrick
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Status of insight/gdbtk

Marco Aurélio da Cruz-2
Hi Patrick. Hi Keith.


On 03/10/2015 03:48 PM, Keith Seitz wrote:

>
> Patrick committed a patch which should have made this work. I build on
> F21 all the time nowadays (directly from Patrick's git repo).
>
> Does your repository have patches/binutils-gdb/003-tclconfig.patch? If
> so, make sure that all the files were regenerated properly. You can
> search for "usrlibdir" in gdb/configure to check. If it isn't in
> there, your configure files were not regenerated to include the fix.
>
> Keith

The pach file was correctly applied to "bundle" folder before compiling.



On 03/11/2015 07:42 AM, Patrick Monnerat wrote:

>  
> Marco Aurélio da Cruz wrote:
>
>> So, I forgot to tell you before. I can't compile it on a Fedora 20 64-bit. I tried with CFLAGS=-m32 but have no success too.
> All Tcl/Tk/Tcl-devel/Tk-devel packgages are installed for x86_64 and .i686.
>
> Fedora 20 x86_64 is the environment on which I do all my work on insight and it works perfectly.
> As said Keith, I think your build tree is not clean and that caused the error you mention. Try to do the following things:
> - remove the "bundle" subdirectory.
> - git pull
> - redo the build as mentioned in the README file from the "autoconf" command.
>
> This should work.

Patrick, I did a clean instalation, twice. And I always removed the
"bundle" before compiling. And as I said above, all patches were
correctly applied.  I will try again later.


> Please note that insight is packaged for F20. This is an old version (~6 months) but it works. So if you need insight only for using it, you can just "yum install insight".
>

Right, but I need it for arm-none-eabi. The 32-bit version I compiled is
working like a charm in my 64-bit computer.


Thank you guys for your support.


Cheers

Marco




--
Marco Aurélio da Cruz | Eng. P&D Automação | tel.: 12-3609-5105
Urmet Daruma - Av. Independência, 3500 - Taubaté - SP - CEP 12032-000
www.daruma.com.br

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Status of insight/gdbtk

Patrick Monnerat
Marco Aurélio da Cruz wrote:

> Patrick, I did a clean instalation, twice. And I always removed the "bundle" before compiling. And as I said above, all patches were correctly applied.  I will try again later.

Then if it does not work, please post here your configure command with arguments. Thanks.

Patrick
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Status of insight/gdbtk

Keith Seitz
In reply to this post by Marco Aurélio da Cruz-2
On 03/11/2015 07:12 AM, Marco Aurélio da Cruz wrote:
> On 03/10/2015 03:48 PM, Keith Seitz wrote:
>> Does your repository have patches/binutils-gdb/003-tclconfig.patch? If
>> so, make sure that all the files were regenerated properly. You can
>> search for "usrlibdir" in gdb/configure to check. If it isn't in
>> there, your configure files were not regenerated to include the fix.
 >
> The pach file was correctly applied to "bundle" folder before compiling.

Does /usr/lib64/tclConfig.sh exist? [This is where the file lives on my
Fedora 21 box, which I don't think is any different from Fedora 20.]
When configure complains that "WARNING: Can't find Tcl configuration
definitions," this means that it is unable to locate this file.

The patch I referred to earlier changes configure to look in the
following directories:

${prefix}/lib, /usr/local/lib, /usr/contrib/lib, /usr/lib,
${usrlibdir}, ${usrlibdir}/tcl[[8-9]].[[0-9]], and
${usrlibdir}/tcl[[8-9]].[[0-9]]*

where prefix is given by the configure option "--prefix" and usrlibdir
is computed by configure. ["/usr/lib" on 32-bit architectures,
"/usr/lib32" with "-m32" on 64-bit architectures, and "/usr/lib64" on
64-bit architectures]

tclConfig.sh is supplied by the tcl-devel package on Fedora.

Keith
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Status of insight/gdbtk

Marco Aurélio da Cruz-2
Hi there.


On 03/11/2015 03:01 PM, Keith Seitz wrote:

>
> Does /usr/lib64/tclConfig.sh exist? [This is where the file lives on my
> Fedora 21 box, which I don't think is any different from Fedora 20.]
> When configure complains that "WARNING: Can't find Tcl configuration
> definitions," this means that it is unable to locate this file.
>
> where prefix is given by the configure option "--prefix" and usrlibdir
> is computed by configure. ["/usr/lib" on 32-bit architectures,
> "/usr/lib32" with "-m32" on 64-bit architectures, and "/usr/lib64" on
> 64-bit architectures]
>
> tclConfig.sh is supplied by the tcl-devel package on Fedora.
>
>
Yes, you were right. It was my fault. It was missing tcl-devel.
Everething compiled OK on 64-bit now. Thank you again.


Now, I noticed a kind of screen bug when running Insight. I put an
image here: http://goo.gl/Hgli5V

It is related to use of some characters in ISO8859-1. If I save
my source in UTF-8, Insight shows it correctly.


Regards,

Marco









Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Status of insight/gdbtk

Patrick Monnerat
 
Marco Aurélio da Cruz wrote:

> Now, I noticed a kind of screen bug when running Insight. I put an image here: http://goo.gl/Hgli5V
> It is related to use of some characters in ISO8859-1. If I save my source in UTF-8, Insight shows it correctly.

Yes, you're right: source code was required to be in UTF-8.
I now changed that: the source code needs to be in "Tcl system encoding": this defaults to UTF-8, but as a side-effect, the conversion uses a default value for invalid UTF-8 characters and this default value seems to match the ISO-8859 encoding.

So all your source lines should now be displayed... But the correct rendering of non-ascii characters is not garanteed.

You can find the latest code in my github repository.

Thanks for the bug report.

Patrick
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Status of insight/gdbtk

Marco Aurélio da Cruz-2
On 03/18/2015 10:53 AM, Patrick Monnerat wrote:
> Yes, you're right: source code was required to be in UTF-8.
> I now changed that: the source code needs to be in "Tcl system encoding": this defaults to UTF-8, but as a side-effect, the conversion uses a default value for invalid UTF-8 characters and this default value seems to match the ISO-8859 encoding.
>
> So all your source lines should now be displayed... But the correct rendering of non-ascii characters is not garanteed.

Yes, it showed all lines now!

Thank you again.


Cheers

Marco