SRFI 170 (POSIX API) for Kawa

Lassi Kortela
Is anyone working on implementing SRFI 170 for Kawa yet? Since Kawa is
Java-based instead of C-based, and uses pathname objects as well as a
per-thread parameter object to store the current directory, it would
make for a good test case.

Re: SRFI 170 (POSIX API) for Kawa

Duncan Mak
Oh, this is interesting! I wonder if https://github.com/jnr/jnr-posix can
be used to implement this.

Duncan.

Duncan.

Re: SRFI 170 (POSIX API) for Kawa

Per Bothner
On Sat, Feb 22, 2020 at 4:46 AM Lassi Kortela <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is anyone working on implementing SRFI 170 for Kawa yet? Since Kawa is
> Java-based instead of C-based, and uses pathname objects as well as a
> per-thread parameter object to store the current directory, it would
> make for a good test case.

It might be interesting to see how much could be implemented in portable Java,
without digging into native (C/C++) code.  Kawa currently does not contain
native code, which means we can make a single cross-platform "binary release".

That doesn't mean I'll rule out having optional features that depend
on native code, but I would prefer to stick to no native code in the
default build.

There are no doubt large parts of SRFI-170 that could be implemented
without native code, but I haven't done the effort to see what the issues are.
If someone wants to look into to what extent SRFI-170 can be mapped into
Java APIs that would be interesting, but I'm not planning to do that
study myself.
--
        --Per Bothner