Root filesystem

Robert Bielik
Hi all,

New to the tool! I'm planning to use this for setting up a complete build toolchain for Raspberry Pi 3. This means building f.i. ALSA/GStreamer/LADSPA etc. etc. and installing them in the proper rootfs which will be packaged together with the toolchain.

I suspect this is out of the scope of the ct-ng tool  ? Maybe someone has ideas or pointers on how to accomplish this ?

Regards
/Robert

Re: Root filesystem

Baruch Siach
Hi Robert,

On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 08:13:38AM +0000, Robert Bielik wrote:
> New to the tool! I'm planning to use this for setting up a complete build
> toolchain for Raspberry Pi 3. This means building f.i. ALSA/GStreamer/LADSPA
> etc. etc. and installing them in the proper rootfs which will be packaged
> together with the toolchain.
>
> I suspect this is out of the scope of the ct-ng tool  ? Maybe someone has
> ideas or pointers on how to accomplish this ?

You can try Buildroot: https://buildroot.org

You can use ct-ng to generate a toolchain and use it in Buildroot as an
external toolchain. Or you can have Buildroot generate the toolchain for you
(so called internal toolchain).

baruch

--
     http://baruch.siach.name/blog/                  ~. .~   Tk Open Systems
   - [hidden email] - tel: +972.52.368.4656, http://www.tkos.co.il -

RE: Root filesystem

Robert Bielik
Thank you Baruch,

Doh! Now I remember I have been looking at buildroot before, I just didn't think of using it in this way 😊

Regards
/R

Josh Branning
On 30/11/17 08:13, Robert Bielik wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> New to the tool! I'm planning to use this for setting up a complete build toolchain for Raspberry Pi 3. This means building f.i. ALSA/GStreamer/LADSPA etc. etc. and installing them in the proper rootfs which will be packaged together with the toolchain.
>
> I suspect this is out of the scope of the ct-ng tool  ? Maybe someone has ideas or pointers on how to accomplish this ?
>
> Regards
> /Robert

Hi,

I once did something similar for the olinuxino lime A10.

I compiled uboot and a kernel and used an arch linux arm rootfs.

The scripts can be found as a tar.gz

They are probably out of date, but can be modified and can give a
skeleton for you to work with.

http://www.publicsite.org/J05HYYY/software_downloads/olinuxinolime-archlinux.tar.gz

I'm not quite sure about the bootloader in the pi however, whether or
not it can use uboot. The pi needs a blob to run IIRC.

You may also wish to look at https://github.com/RPi-Distro/Pi-gen which
creates the isos for raspbian from the pi foundation.

Josh

Re: Root filesystem

Bill Randle
On Thu, 30 Nov 2017 14:29:59 +0000
Josh Branning <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 30/11/17 08:13, Robert Bielik wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > New to the tool! I'm planning to use this for setting up a complete
> > build toolchain for Raspberry Pi 3. This means building f.i.
> > ALSA/GStreamer/LADSPA etc. etc. and installing them in the proper
> > rootfs which will be packaged together with the toolchain.
> >
> > I suspect this is out of the scope of the ct-ng tool  ? Maybe
> > someone has ideas or pointers on how to accomplish this ?
> >
> > Regards
> > /Robert
> >

> Hi,
>
> I once did something similar for the olinuxino lime A10.
>
> I compiled uboot and a kernel and used an arch linux arm rootfs.
>
> The scripts can be found as a tar.gz
>
> They are probably out of date, but can be modified and can give a
> skeleton for you to work with.
>
> http://www.publicsite.org/J05HYYY/software_downloads/olinuxinolime-archlinux.tar.gz
>
> I'm not quite sure about the bootloader in the pi however, whether or
> not it can use uboot. The pi needs a blob to run IIRC.
>
> You may also wish to look at https://github.com/RPi-Distro/Pi-gen
> which creates the isos for raspbian from the pi foundation.
>
> Josh

In addition to buildroot, you can also use the Yocto Project
(https://www.yoctoproject.org). There are people that have added R-Pi
"layers" for the Raspberry-Pi. One of them is this one:
https://github.com/jumpnow/meta-rpi .

    -Bill

RE: Root filesystem

Robert Bielik
Thanks all,

A lot of good info! I now got myself some studying to do... 😊

Regards
/Robert