Redboot on IXDPG425 using P30 Flash

Abraham Celik
Hi Guys,

Im having trouble trying to initialize redboot on our board.

<SNIP>

+**Warning** FLASH configuration checksum error or invalid key
Use 'fconfig -i' to [re]initialize database
No network interfaces found

RedBoot(tm) bootstrap and debug environment [ROM]
Red Hat certified release, version 2.02 - built 04:42:11, Nov 12 2005

Platform: Intel IXDPG425 Network Gateway Reference (IXP42X 266MHz) BE
Copyright (C) 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 Red Hat, Inc.

RAM: 0x00000000-0x02000000, [0x00015b20-0x01fe9000] available
FLASH: 0x50000000 - 0x50020000, 4 blocks of 0x00008000 bytes each.
RedBoot>
RedBoot>
RedBoot>
RedBoot>
RedBoot>
RedBoot>
RedBoot>
RedBoot>
RedBoot>
RedBoot> fis init
About to initialize [format] FLASH image system - continue (y/n)? y
*** Initialize FLASH Image System
... Unlock from 0x50018000-0x50020000: .
... Erase from 0x50018000-0x50020000: Err = a2

Error erasing FIS directory at 0x50018000: Error trying to erase
... Lock from 0x50018000-0x50020000: .
RedBoot>

<SNIP>

Im using the ixdpg425 board package, as our board is quite similar in
design. The only different is that we are using a 256MB Intel P30 flash.

I modified the source as per the following document
http://download.intel.com/design/flcomp/applnots/30829402.pdf in Appendix B.

Can anyone suggest why it is not initializing and/or why I cant get the
network interface up? I read somewhere that the network interface will not
work until you program a mac address. I dont have the command in redboot
2.02 to set mac_npe.

Regards,

Abraham Celik

Re: Redboot on IXDPG425 using P30 Flash

Mark Salter-2
On Sat, 2005-11-12 at 20:41 +1100, Abraham Celik wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Im having trouble trying to initialize redboot on our board.
>
> RedBoot> fis init
> About to initialize [format] FLASH image system - continue (y/n)? y
> *** Initialize FLASH Image System
> ... Unlock from 0x50018000-0x50020000: .
> ... Erase from 0x50018000-0x50020000: Err = a2
>
> Error erasing FIS directory at 0x50018000: Error trying to erase
> ... Lock from 0x50018000-0x50020000: .
> RedBoot>
>

> <SNIP>
>
> Im using the ixdpg425 board package, as our board is quite similar in
> design. The only different is that we are using a 256MB Intel P30 flash.
>
> I modified the source as per the following document
> http://download.intel.com/design/flcomp/applnots/30829402.pdf in Appendix B.
>
> Can anyone suggest why it is not initializing and/or why I cant get the
> network interface up? I read somewhere that the network interface will not
> work until you program a mac address. I dont have the command in redboot
> 2.02 to set mac_npe.

I'm pretty sure the a2 error code is a write protect error. So either
the unlock code is not working or there is some external write-protect
circuitry getting in the way.

The mac address (depending on configuration) can be hard-coded in
RedBoot, stored in an EEPROM, or stored in FLASH. If you don't have
the command to set the MAC, most likely it is being stored in FLASH
and you'll have to sort out that problem first.

--Mark

RE: Redboot on IXDPG425 using P30 Flash

Abraham Celik

Hi Mark,

Thanks for that.

Do you know where/how the unlock code for the flash in redboot is? I search
around everywhere and could find anywhere? I can see that the P30 has some
weird locking systems (we used the P30 cause Intel are pushing to phase out
the J series). I can ensure you there is not external locking mechanisms.

Also how do I hardcode the MAC before I compile the binary image? I tried to
hardcode the IP settings but this didn't seem to work (as I image it wont
until I program the MAC).

Regards,

Abraham Celik

On Sat, 2005-11-12 at 20:41 +1100, Abraham Celik wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Im having trouble trying to initialize redboot on our board.
>
> RedBoot> fis init
> About to initialize [format] FLASH image system - continue (y/n)? y
> *** Initialize FLASH Image System
> ... Unlock from 0x50018000-0x50020000: .
> ... Erase from 0x50018000-0x50020000: Err = a2
>
> Error erasing FIS directory at 0x50018000: Error trying to erase ...
> Lock from 0x50018000-0x50020000: .
> RedBoot>
>

> <SNIP>
>
> Im using the ixdpg425 board package, as our board is quite similar in
> design. The only different is that we are using a 256MB Intel P30 flash.
>
> I modified the source as per the following document
> http://download.intel.com/design/flcomp/applnots/30829402.pdf in Appendix
B.

> Can anyone suggest why it is not initializing and/or why I cant get
> the network interface up? I read somewhere that the network interface
> will not work until you program a mac address. I dont have the command
> in redboot
> 2.02 to set mac_npe.

I'm pretty sure the a2 error code is a write protect error. So either the
unlock code is not working or there is some external write-protect circuitry
getting in the way.

The mac address (depending on configuration) can be hard-coded in RedBoot,
stored in an EEPROM, or stored in FLASH. If you don't have the command to
set the MAC, most likely it is being stored in FLASH and you'll have to sort
out that problem first.

--Mark

Redboot on Cirrus EP9302

Abraham Celik
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me where I could get my hands on the source for a Cirrus
EP9302 to create a redboot image?

The Cirrus Arm forum seems to have been down for a little bit of time now,
and I cant even get my hands on the download.exe utility that everyone keeps
talking about.

I have determined that it should live in the packages/hal/arm/arm9/ep93xx
folder, but no where I looked has this (not in the eCos CVS).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Abraham

Re: Redboot on Cirrus EP9302

Jon Ringle-3
On Sunday 13 November 2005 10:24 pm, Abraham Celik wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Can anyone tell me where I could get my hands on the source for a Cirrus
> EP9302 to create a redboot image?
>
> The Cirrus Arm forum seems to have been down for a little bit of time now,
> and I cant even get my hands on the download.exe utility that everyone
> keeps talking about.
>
> I have determined that it should live in the packages/hal/arm/arm9/ep93xx
> folder, but no where I looked has this (not in the eCos CVS).
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.

The download utility in packages/hal/arm/edb7xxx/current/support/ might work

Jon

Re: Redboot on Cirrus EP9302

Gary Thomas
On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 14:24 +1100, Abraham Celik wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Can anyone tell me where I could get my hands on the source for a Cirrus
> EP9302 to create a redboot image?
>
> The Cirrus Arm forum seems to have been down for a little bit of time now,
> and I cant even get my hands on the download.exe utility that everyone keeps
> talking about.
>
> I have determined that it should live in the packages/hal/arm/arm9/ep93xx
> folder, but no where I looked has this (not in the eCos CVS).

These sources have never been contributed to our public CVS, so
I'm afraid you'll have to get them from Cirrus.

Of course, encouraging Cirrus to publish them would be in everyone's
best interest :-)

RE: Redboot on Cirrus EP9302

Abraham Celik
Hi,

Thanks Alexey for files.

It seems to download successfully on my board, however I don't get anything
out the serial port.

After I program it, I start up a terminal and any keys I press are echoed
back with single ?????????.

If I reboot the device I no longer get the echo. I get nothing.

The binary images I tried are from http://members.inode.at/m.burian/ep93xx/

I also tried the binary image you had in the zip file provided, with the
same outcomes.

From my understanding either a 9301 or 9307 image would work.

Does any one have the eCos2.0 EP9302 redboot source that they are willing to
share with me for targeting the EP9302 Dev board?

I'm a little new to all this so any pointer would be much appreciated.

(P.S. I have asked Cirrus for this information, however they seem to like to
take their time).

Regards,

Abraham

On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 14:24 +1100, Abraham Celik wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Can anyone tell me where I could get my hands on the source for a
> Cirrus
> EP9302 to create a redboot image?
>
> The Cirrus Arm forum seems to have been down for a little bit of time
> now, and I cant even get my hands on the download.exe utility that
> everyone keeps talking about.
>
> I have determined that it should live in the
> packages/hal/arm/arm9/ep93xx folder, but no where I looked has this (not
in the eCos CVS).

These sources have never been contributed to our public CVS, so I'm afraid
you'll have to get them from Cirrus.

Of course, encouraging Cirrus to publish them would be in everyone's best
interest :-)

Gary Thomas                 |  Consulting for the
MLB Associates              |    Embedded world