Re: [rain1@airmail.cc] Delete abortion joke

1234 ... 14

Re: [rain1@airmail.cc] Delete abortion joke

Richard Stallman
[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]

The point of this joke is even more important now than it was when I
first wrote it.  Please do not remove it.

GNU is not a purely technical project, so the fact that this is
not strictly and grimly technical is not a reason to remove this.

Please ack.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
Skype: No way! See https://stallman.org/skype.html.

Re: [rain1@airmail.cc] Delete abortion joke

Carlos O'Donell-6
On 04/30/2018 11:03 PM, Richard Stallman wrote:
> [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
> [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
>
> The point of this joke is even more important now than it was when I
> first wrote it.  Please do not remove it.

The problem with the joke is that it touches a difficult and complex
topic, namely abortion, and this could be a trigger for certain
individuals causing them to relive a traumatic memory. I cannot condone
that we add triggers like these to a technical manual, particularly
when individuals would not expect such jokes in the manual. It can do
harm to these individuals when they expect to find themselves in a safe
space.

> GNU is not a purely technical project, so the fact that this is
> not strictly and grimly technical is not a reason to remove this.

I agree, but that's not the only reason I supported the consensus
for removal (see above).

I suggest two courses of action.

* We avoid jokes. They can be misinterpreted by individuals
  without the cultural background to understand the joke. Instead of
  the joke we should just state clearly exactly what we are worried
  about in as direct a language as we possibly can, and include a
  trigger warning (as is good practice). I would accept such a patch.
  I encourage Alex Oliva to draft such a patch and propose it for
  inclusion with appropriate references.

* We use another venue to discuss such issues. This is my recommended
  course of action. It places this discussion in a venue that has the
  appropriate context and support for such discussions. For example
  these issues could be brought up with NARAL [1] and we could support
  them with more than just jokes.

We should show our support clearly instead of using a joke.

--
Cheers,
Carlos.

[1] https://www.prochoiceamerica.org/

Re: [rain1@airmail.cc] Delete abortion joke

Florian Weimer
* Richard Stallman:

> The point of this joke is even more important now than it was when I
> first wrote it.  Please do not remove it.

But is it a joke?

It is easily interpreted in such a way that we, the glibc developers,
share the view that the U.S. government is actively suppressing
certain voices and positions on societal issues.  This view is common
among groups which are diametrically opposed to most of your personal
political views (I assume, after a quick glance at stallman.org).  I
think it is very wrong legitimize claims of such groups about
U.S. government suppression in any way, and I'm surprised that you
disagree.

Re: [rain1@airmail.cc] Delete abortion joke

Zach van Rijn
On Mon, 2018-04-30 at 23:03 -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:

> [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
> [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
>
> The point of this joke is even more important now than it was when I
> first wrote it.  Please do not remove it.
>
> GNU is not a purely technical project, so the fact that this is
> not strictly and grimly technical is not a reason to remove this.
>
> Please ack.

It would be unprofessional of me to let you defend a joke about a topic
so deeply personal to some, in of all places technical documentation for
a C library, after (like me) having been made aware of its presence.

Such a joke has little to do with the merits (pro- or con-) of the issue
you care about, and presents unnecessary confusion to such a broad and
diverse community. Your personal website would be an excellent venue to
express your views, but in this case it's not comedy, nor is it comity.

And quite frankly, it smacks of the FreeBSD Code of Conduct [1] from a
different angle. It isn't political correctness to wish it removed.

ZV

[1]: https://www.freebsd.org/internal/code-of-conduct.html

Re: [rain1@airmail.cc] Delete abortion joke

rain1
On 2018-05-01 04:03, Richard Stallman wrote:

> [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
> [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
>
> The point of this joke is even more important now than it was when I
> first wrote it.  Please do not remove it.
>
> GNU is not a purely technical project, so the fact that this is
> not strictly and grimly technical is not a reason to remove this.
>
> Please ack.

Your anti-natalism and pro-abortion views have had a very wide reach
[1][2][3] from pieces on your site and so on. Relative to that the
number of people learning about it from a section of glibc manual is
minuscule. As this is not an effective place to proselytize, removing it
from there will not hinder the good you aim to do with it. On the other
hand it is such a deeply personal and in many causes traumatic
experience that may be very upsetting to suddenly be exposed to in a
strange mocking way, removing it would make glibc less painful to work
with for some people.

[1]
http://www.art.net/Studios/Hackers/Hopkins/Don/text/rms-vs-doctor.html
[2] https://stallman.org/articles/children.html
[3] http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Richard_Stallman

It would be advisable to have empathy for the struggles we do not
personally go through and if possible involve women in this
conversation.

Lastly I would like to ask, must one have the same political views as
Stallman to be part of the GNU project? What if we simply believe in the
four software freedoms, is that not enough? Should members who are
against abortion (this includes vegans) be excluded?

Re: [rain1@airmail.cc] Delete abortion joke

Rich Felker-2
On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 11:03:16PM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
> The point of this joke is even more important now than it was when I
> first wrote it.  Please do not remove it.
>
> GNU is not a purely technical project, so the fact that this is
> not strictly and grimly technical is not a reason to remove this.
>
> Please ack.

I was one of the people involved in conversations leading up to this,
and while I strongly support a message of standing up for bodily and
reproductive autonomy, and specifically the right to abortion, I saw
the joke as highly out-of-place and harmful for reasons very close to
what Carlos already explained.

Abortion is a topic potentially connected to all sorts of personal
trauma -- being forced to become or stay pregnant against one's will,
having to terminate a wanted pregnancy out of medical necessity,
being/feeling forced to terminate by someone with power over you or by
other circumstances, etc. Users of glibc should not have their
attention drawn in such directions unexpectedly when they go to lookup
whether glibc documents any specific behavior for the abort()
function, and participants in the project should not feel like they're
required to be part in pushing that experience on others.

Rich

Re: [rain1@airmail.cc] Delete abortion joke

Ryan S. Arnold
(resending in plain-text)

As a glibc steward, and the butt of what might be termed as "abusive
humor" in this project in the past, I won't defend keeping this joke
in place.

If this were told in a comedy club, it could be defended. In the glibc
manual (an inappropriate venue) it can't be. We really can't interpret
how this joke might be taken from any side of the political spectrum.
I've been a strong advocate of inclusiveness in glibc over the years
and don't want to alienate any contributor by making an unnecessary
(to the project) political statement.

On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 10:51 AM, Ryan S. Arnold <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As a glibc steward, and the butt of what might be termed as "abusive humor"
> in this project in the past, I won't defend keeping this joke in place.
>
> If this were told in a comedy club, it could be defended. In the glibc
> manual (an inappropriate venue) it can't be. We really can't interpret how
> this joke might be taken from any side of the political spectrum. I've been
> a strong advocate of inclusiveness in glibc over the years and don't want to
> alienate any contributor by making an unnecessary (to the project) political
> statement.
>
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 10:03 PM, Richard Stallman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
>> [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
>> [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]
>>
>> The point of this joke is even more important now than it was when I
>> first wrote it.  Please do not remove it.
>>
>> GNU is not a purely technical project, so the fact that this is
>> not strictly and grimly technical is not a reason to remove this.
>>
>> Please ack.
>>
>> --
>> Dr Richard Stallman
>> President, Free Software Foundation (https://gnu.org, https://fsf.org)
>> Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)
>> Skype: No way! See https://stallman.org/skype.html.

Re: [rain1@airmail.cc] Delete abortion joke

Zack Weinberg-2
On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 11:03 PM, Richard Stallman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The point of this joke is even more important now than it was when I
> first wrote it.  Please do not remove it.

Given the @c immediately above saying that you wrote it and did not
want it removed, we should have brought you into the discussion
earlier, and I regret not having thought of that. However, the passage
has already been removed, and if you want that change reverted, you
will have to find someone else willing to do that; I won't.

The only person who has spoken in favor of the passage, other than
yourself, made the same argument that you do -- the continued
importance of the *topic*.  And I agree with you that the topic is
important.  However, the GNU C Library Manual is an actively
inappropriate place to discuss it, as has been explained much more
eloquently by several other people already; I have nothing in
particular to add to their observations.

zw

Re: [rain1@airmail.cc] Delete abortion joke

Alexandre Oliva-2
On May  1, 2018, "Carlos O'Donell" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The problem with the joke is that it touches a difficult and complex
> topic, namely abortion, and this could be a trigger for certain
> individuals causing them to relive a traumatic memory.

I happen to have traumatic memories about this topic, but it's not the
joke that brings them to mind.  The name of the function is enough to do
so.  Perhaps it has to do with my native language background and the
almost exclusive use of the term to mean termination of human pregnancy,
just like abolition, unqualified, refers to putting an end to slavery.

The disputed snippet, to me, does not in any more of this topic to mind.
When reading the manual, by the time I reach the snippet, the topic of
human pregnancy abortion is already fully in mind, with all the painful
memories related with it.

What the snippet does, however, is to denounce an attempt of government
censorship *about* the topic.  I hope none of us favors censorship, or
find it too sensitive topic a that we'd better avoid in a manual or
anywhere else.

That the message denounces censorship related with an uncomfortable,
sensitive and often traumatic topic doesn't make it any more legitimate
or desirable to censor the message IMHO.

> I suggest two courses of action.

> * We avoid jokes.

I find the gnus manual an excellent example of how technical information
can be conveyed interspersed with funny stuff, and how that makes for
lighter reading and easier conveyance of the technical information.  I
recall being very pleased at reading it some 25 years ago, and it's
still a reference for me on how to make a manual a lot more pleasant to
read, without compromising the technical information in any way.  I
wouldn't mind if we had more, not less humor in our manuals.

>   about in as direct a language as we possibly can, and include a
>   trigger warning (as is good practice). I would accept such a patch.
>   I encourage Alex Oliva to draft such a patch and propose it for
>   inclusion with appropriate references.

FTR, I have not been able to be convinced by either side of the debate
on arbitrary interruption of viable human pregnancies in general, but I
do have a well-defined position against censorship, which is what the
removed (censored?) snippet was about.

That said, if I had to come up with a message to replace what was
removed without consulting the leader of the project that had explicitly
asked for it not to be removed, I'd propose something along these lines:

  To the best of our knowledge, terminating a program by calling this
  function is not against the law in any jurisdiction, but there are
  some jurisdictions considering laws to censor information about such
  procedures.  Regardless of your opinion on the procedures, we hope you
  will support our opposition to censorship.

--
Alexandre Oliva, freedom fighter    http://FSFLA.org/~lxoliva/
Be Free! -- http://FSFLA.org/   FSF Latin America board member
Free Software Evangelist|Red Hat Brasil GNU Toolchain Engineer

Re: [rain1@airmail.cc] Delete abortion joke

Richard Stallman
[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]

  > As a glibc steward, and the butt of what might be termed as "abusive humor"
  > in this project in the past,

Can you explain how it relates to this point?  My joke makes fun of
a US gag rule; it does not "abuse" anyone.

  > If this were told in a comedy club, it could be defended. In the glibc
  > manual (an inappropriate venue) it can't be.

The GNU Project has a broader standard of what is appropriate.
Jokes that relate to the material at hand are appropriate.

This joke is even more appropriate nowadays because of Republican plans
to broaden the gag rule.

  > I've been
  > a strong advocate of inclusiveness

"Inclusiveness" usual means rejection of bigotry against groups of
people, and in that sense we support it.  However, we must not stretch
it to mean political neutrality and silence so as to avoid ever disagreeing
with anyone.  We do not endorse or follow that narrowmindedness.

                                       in glibc over the years and don't want
  > to alienate any contributor by making an unnecessary (to the project)
  > political statement.

The GNU Project defends basic rights on the internet, so criticizing
censorship is good anywhere.

We would not want to make a statement in a manual that would drive away
a large fraction of our community.  However, we know from observation
that it doesn't do that.  You're worried about hypothetical people
that seem to be very rare.

My decision is to keep the joke.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
Skype: No way! See https://stallman.org/skype.html.

Re: [rain1@airmail.cc] Delete abortion joke

Richard Stallman
[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]

  > It would be unprofessional of me to let you defend a joke about a topic

The GNU Project does not adhere to this rigid idea of
"professionalism".  Even the name "GNU" is a joke.

  > so deeply personal to some,

The issue of gag rules is not directly personal, so I expect that
readers can see the humor in this joke whatever their views about
abortion rights themselves.

So I stand by my decision.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
Skype: No way! See https://stallman.org/skype.html.

Re: [rain1@airmail.cc] Delete abortion joke

Richard Stallman
[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]

  > It is easily interpreted in such a way that we, the glibc developers,
  > share the view that the U.S. government is actively suppressing
  > certain voices and positions on societal issues.

There is an official US policy, commonly known as the "global gag
rule", which forbids foreign aid to clinics if they ever inform
patients about abortion and abortion rights.

This policy existed when Dubya was president.  Obama cancelled it when
he became president, and Trump reinstated it when he became president.
I think it started in the 1980s.

Congress is now considering a proposed law to extend this gag rule to
many clinics in the US.

The joke is about this policy.

    This view is common
    among groups which are diametrically opposed to most of your personal
    political views (I assume, after a quick glance at stallman.org). I
    think it is very wrong legitimize claims of such groups about
    U.S. government suppression in any way, and I'm surprised that you
    disagree.

Since the joke is a clear reference to a real US government policy, I
think its meaning is clear enough.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
Skype: No way! See https://stallman.org/skype.html.

Re: [rain1@airmail.cc] Delete abortion joke

Richard Stallman
[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]

  > The problem with the joke is that it touches a difficult and complex
  > topic, namely abortion, and this could be a trigger for certain
  > individuals causing them to relive a traumatic memory.

It is not the joke that might lead people to think about abortion --
it doesn't refer directly to that -- but rather the name of the
library function, "abort", which is documented there.

Therefore, if you think that this is a real concern, let's put a
trigger warning at the start of the section.  I propose thus text:

   Warning: this section contains function names that might perhaps
   provoke unpleasant memories for some readers.  We suggest readers
   use their discretion about whether to read further.

A GNU manual, like a course in history, is not meant to be a "safe
space".  It is meant to address a subject.  It must cover the function
"abort", just as a course in Renaissance history must cover witch
trials and the inquisition.

However, there is no reason not to include the trigger warning if that
is of service to people.

Whether the joke is included has no effect on this issue.

Giving birth is far more traumatic than having an abortion, so we
might want to put a similar warning in sections that mention child
processes.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
Skype: No way! See https://stallman.org/skype.html.

Re: [rain1@airmail.cc] Delete abortion joke

Richard Stallman
[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]

  >   However, the GNU C Library Manual is an actively
  > inappropriate place to discuss it,

A serious discussion of an unrelated political issue would be a
strange digression.  The joke is appropriate precisely because it is a
joke, and very short.

Since you understand it wasn't right to delete this without my
approval, would you please undo that mistake?

On 05/01/2018 08:30 PM, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>   To the best of our knowledge, terminating a program by calling this
>   function is not against the law in any jurisdiction, but there are
>   some jurisdictions considering laws to censor information about such
>   procedures.  Regardless of your opinion on the procedures, we hope you
>   will support our opposition to censorship.

This is now satire, an even more difficult culturally relative form of
literature. I would not recommend this either.

Why don't we find a solid common ground in wording that relates to
censorship and abortion.

Note that the cartouche only affects PDF and print manuals.

diff --git a/manual/startup.texi b/manual/startup.texi
index 21c48cd037..589ee631c8 100644
--- a/manual/startup.texi
+++ b/manual/startup.texi
@@ -787,6 +787,8 @@ if (rc == -1)
 @cindex program termination
 @cindex process termination

+@strong{Trigger warning: Talk of abortion.}
+
 @cindex exit status value
 The usual way for a program to terminate is simply for its @code{main}
 function to return.  The @dfn{exit status value} returned from the
@@ -1005,6 +1007,14 @@ This function actually terminates the process by raising a
 intercept this signal; see @ref{Signal Handling}.
 @end deftypefun

+@cartouche
+The authors of this manual would like to take the opportunity to
+ask you to oppose @strong{censorship} of human abortion related
+information. Regardless of your opinion on the topic of human
+abortion, we hope you will support our opposition to censorship
+in all forms.
+@end cartouche
+
 @node Termination Internals
 @subsection Termination Internals

---

There is a trigger warning.

The text is unequivocal and clear about our position on censorship.

Cheers,
Carlos.

Re: [rain1@airmail.cc] Delete abortion joke

Ondřej Bílka
On Tue, May 01, 2018 at 11:10:53PM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:

> [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
> [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
>
>   > The problem with the joke is that it touches a difficult and complex
>   > topic, namely abortion, and this could be a trigger for certain
>   > individuals causing them to relive a traumatic memory.
>
> It is not the joke that might lead people to think about abortion --
> it doesn't refer directly to that -- but rather the name of the
> library function, "abort", which is documented there.
>
> Therefore, if you think that this is a real concern, let's put a
> trigger warning at the start of the section.  I propose thus text:
>
>    Warning: this section contains function names that might perhaps
>    provoke unpleasant memories for some readers.  We suggest readers
>    use their discretion about whether to read further.
>
> A GNU manual, like a course in history, is not meant to be a "safe
> space".  It is meant to address a subject.  It must cover the function
> "abort", just as a course in Renaissance history must cover witch
> trials and the inquisition.
>
> However, there is no reason not to include the trigger warning if that
> is of service to people.
>
> Whether the joke is included has no effect on this issue.
>
> Giving birth is far more traumatic than having an abortion, so we
> might want to put a similar warning in sections that mention child
> processes.

There should be following warning

        * manual/process.texi: Warn about disadvantages of child process

diff --git a/manual/process.texi b/manual/process.texi
index b82b91f..6709e19 100644
--- a/manual/process.texi
+++ b/manual/process.texi
@@ -283,6 +283,10 @@ The child doesn't inherit alarms set by the parent process.
 The set of pending signals (@pxref{Delivery of Signal}) for the child
 process is cleared.  (The child process inherits its mask of blocked
 signals and signal actions from the parent process.)
+
+@item
+Warning: creating a child could take up to nine months and could consume all
+your resources.
 @end itemize

Re: [rain1@airmail.cc] Delete abortion joke

Rical Jasan-2
On 05/01/2018 11:26 PM, Ondřej Bílka wrote:

> There should be following warning
>
> * manual/process.texi: Warn about disadvantages of child process
>
> diff --git a/manual/process.texi b/manual/process.texi
> index b82b91f..6709e19 100644
> --- a/manual/process.texi
> +++ b/manual/process.texi
> @@ -283,6 +283,10 @@ The child doesn't inherit alarms set by the parent process.
>  The set of pending signals (@pxref{Delivery of Signal}) for the child
>  process is cleared.  (The child process inherits its mask of blocked
>  signals and signal actions from the parent process.)
> +
> +@item
> +Warning: creating a child could take up to nine months and could consume all
> +your resources.
>  @end itemize

+1

Rical

Re: [rain1@airmail.cc] Delete abortion joke

Florian Weimer
* Carlos O'Donell:

> The text is unequivocal and clear about our position on censorship.

It should say “government censorship”, not “censorship”, to be
absolutely clear.  The GNU project has rules to restrict certain
speech, after all:

| A GNU program should not recommend, promote, or grant legitimacy to
| the use of any non-free program. Proprietary software is a social
| and ethical problem, and our aim is to put an end to that
| problem. We can’t stop some people from writing proprietary
| programs, or stop other people from using them, but we can and
| should refuse to advertise them to new potential customers, or to
| give the public the idea that their existence is ethical.

<https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/References.html>

(Our promotion of ISO standards seems to violate the rules about
non-free documentation, FWIW.)

I also expect that we would ban people from using project resources if
their actions prove toxic to the community.  This could be considered
another form of (non-government) censorship, but I really do not see a
way around it once the need arises.

Re: Delete abortion joke

Javiera Serrano Polo
Current behavior of abort() is unacceptable: it terminates the process
unconditionally. glibc users should be free to decide whether a call to
abort() succeeds. It should be a user right, not a developer imposition.

Although I am in favor of user rights, some freedoms should be
restricted. For instance, calls to kill() from unprivileged users should
fail with "thou shalt not kill".

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Delete abortion joke

Rical Jasan-2
On 05/02/2018 12:00 AM, Javier Serrano Polo wrote:
> Current behavior of abort() is unacceptable: it terminates the process
> unconditionally. glibc users should be free to decide whether a call to
> abort() succeeds. It should be a user right, not a developer imposition.
>
> Although I am in favor of user rights, some freedoms should be
> restricted. For instance, calls to kill() from unprivileged users should
> fail with "thou shalt not kill".

+1 for the individual vs. social dynamic, but it needs a patch.  ;)

Rical
1234 ... 14