Re: kernel massage through sid simulator

Re: kernel massage through sid simulator

Evgeny Belyanco
Friday, July 14, 2006, 9:02:39 AM, you wrote:

pm> i m newbie in this field & looking good one simulator for ecos project.
pm> i should able to see all bootup sequence through ecos simulator.
pm> i used sid simulator to see examples program given in following link but
pm> able to
pm> see only printf statment include with application programe.why is it
pm> not coming kernel masseage & all

pm>  http://eda.ee.nctu.edu.tw/~lylin/a.html

pm> what about other evaluation board with SId. is SID now capable to run for
pm> other processor??

As far, as I understand, SID is capable of simulating ARM7, M32R/D,
x86 and Sanyo Xstormy16a processors.

I don't understand you message in part of "kernel masseage".

pm> even , i m not getting good documents related to SID.
pm> expecting a good help.

SID
http://sourceware.org/sid/

user's guide
http://sourceware.org/sid/sid-guide.pdf

developer's guide
http://sourceware.org/sid/cdk-guide.pdf

Component Reference
http://sourceware.org/sid/component-docs/index.html

Components
http://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/src/sid/component/CATALOG?content-type=text/plain&cvsroot=sid

Evgeny Belyanko
**********************************
* E-mail: [hidden email]
**********************************

Re[2]: kernel massage through sid simulator

Evgeny Belyanco
Friday, July 14, 2006, 4:09:41 PM, you wrote:

pm>   thanks for that. i got all useful information . ..about kernel
pm> massages??...i mean to say massages that a typical Boot Up sequence
pm> involves so i can able to see
pm>   display a message on the screen for each drive/memory they detect
pm> and configure. .. i m linux programmer but new in this field.
pm> ..one more things ..i used following command for my hello.c program &
pm> i find out hello.c.config file ...what is this inside config file.

pm> arm-elf-sid --no-run --sidrtc=0xe0000000 hello.c

I think, you need

eCos doc
http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs.html

eCos list
http://ecos.sourceware.org/intouch.html

SID list
http://sourceware.org/sid/
http://sourceware.org/ml/sid/

Evgeny Belyanko
**********************************
* E-mail: [hidden email]
**********************************

RE: Re[2]: kernel massage through sid simulator

Robert Cragie
I think Pintu Mehta has the wrong idea about SID. SID is a hardware platform
emulator on which you run whatever executables will run on the target. This
may be eCos, which in turn may be running a multi-tasking application. Or it
may be uClinux, or just a simple embedded application which does not use an
operating system at all.

Therefore SID itself does not produce 'kernel messages'. If it were running
Linux, and there was a clearly assigned terminal on the platform to which
kernal messages are emitted, it is there you would see the kernel messages.
Any 'drives' would also have to be emulated in the SID environment.

I'm not sure what Pintu Mehta is trying to achieve but it might also be
worth looking at Bochs (http://bochs.sourceforge.net/) or if he is wanting a
platform for eCos, the synthetic linux target or even the straight i386
target for eCos.

Robert Cragie, Design Engineer
Jennic Ltd, Furnival Street, Sheffield, S1 4QT,  UK
http://www.jennic.com  Tel: +44 (0) 114 281 2655