Re: PolarSSL for eCos

Sergei Gavrikov-4
Hi Max,

[Added eCos Discuss to CC]

On Thu, 2 May 2013, Max Seidenstücker wrote:

> Hi Sergei,
>
> I am writing you because I saw posts that you successfully ported
> PolarSSL to eCos already.
>
> For a research project we are currently using eCos and need a TLS1.2
> secured connection. So therefore we need to either update OpenSSL form
> 0.9.6b to 1.0.1, which seems pretty difficult or find an alternative
> SSL library.
>
> PolarSSL looks really promising, as it also has less ressource usage
> than OpenSSL.
>
> I am very curious on how far you have come with the porting.
That was a weekend hack only. As far I call correctly the porting
process was straightforward, that GPL PolarSSL version had a few I/O
stubs to overwrite and I have got HTTPS connection on eCos synthetic
target.  I had no further work with PolarSSL (and SSL for eCos) but,
IMHO, the project was very promising SSL project ... and IT IS as

thanking your e-mail I knew that PolarSSL team became to provide FOSS
License Exception

  https://polarssl.org/foss-license-exception

IANAL, but it looks like that we would use GPL PolarSSL 2.0 with that
FOSS exception in eCos. If this so, you would register new eCos project

  http://ecos.sourceware.org/contrib.html

open eCos Bugzilla entry (http://bugs.ecos.sourceware.org) for the port
and I hope you will find more hands for porting process then. But before
to start I would get confirmation that PolarSSL FOSS License exception
does cover the eCos License exception.

Sergei

Re: PolarSSL for eCos

Sergei Gavrikov-4
On Thu, 2 May 2013, Sergei Gavrikov wrote:

[snip]

> I knew that PolarSSL team became to provide FOSS License Exception
>
>   https://polarssl.org/foss-license-exception
>
> IANAL, but it looks like that we would use GPL PolarSSL 2.0 with that
> FOSS exception in eCos. If this so, you would register new eCos project

[snip]

Please, read a warning from Paul Beskeen
http://ecos.sourceware.org/ml/ecos-maintainers/2013-05/msg00000.html

Sergei