Re: Offer of membership in Software Freedom Conservancy, Inc. to Crosstool-ng

Re: Offer of membership in Software Freedom Conservancy, Inc. to Crosstool-ng

Yann E. MORIN-2
Bradley, All,

On 2014-04-24 11:44 -0400, Bradley M. Kuhn spake thusly:

> TL;DR: Crosstool-ng applied (long ago) to the Conservancy and has
>        (finally) been offered membership.  The FSA template should be
>        reviewed by all interested parties, and we need your help to
>        draft three specific sections, which are discussed in detail at
>        the bottom of this email.
>
> Full Details:
>
> I am excited to inform you that Conservancy's Project Evaluation
> Committee has approved Crosstool-ng for membership in the Software
> Freedom Conservancy. [...]

Thank you for the offer. This is great news! :-)

> The next step is to negotiate a formal agreement between the project and
> the Conservancy, which is called a fiscal sponsorship agreement (FSA).
> You can find a template of the agreement available on Conservancy's
> website at: https://sfconservancy.org/members/apply/ConservancyFSATemplate.pdf
>             https://sfconservancy.org/members/apply/conservancy-fsa-template.tex
>             https://sfconservancy.org/members/apply/conservancy-fsa-template.odt
>
> Generally, Conservancy leaves it for the Crosstool-ng community to
> decide how you'd like to discuss the document internally.  Note that
> signing such an agreement is a big step for the project and you should
> consider the agreement carefully, in whatever forum is most appropriate
> for your community.  Conservancy strongly suggests that a public
> discussion of the FSA occur on the general discussion list for
> developers of your project, which is why I've posted this information
> here on your public list.

We will be discussing this FSA on this list.

Should we keep you, Bradley, and/or the "Project Intake group" in Cc of
all the discussion, or do you just want a final summary with pointers to
the ML archives?

[--SNIP--]

> We look forward to Crosstool-ng joining the Conservancy!

Thank you again for this offer. :-)

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

|  Yann E. MORIN  | Real-Time Embedded | /"\ ASCII RIBBON | Erics' conspiracy: |
| +33 662 376 056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |  ___               |
| +33 223 225 172 `------------.-------:  X  AGAINST      |  \e/  There is no  |
| http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/ | _/*\_ | / \ HTML MAIL    |   v   conspiracy.  |

Re: Offer of membership in Software Freedom Conservancy, Inc. to Crosstool-ng

gabx
On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 10:47 PM, Yann E. MORIN-2 [via Sourceware.org]
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Bradley, All,

>> I am excited to inform you that Conservancy's Project Evaluation
>> Committee has approved Crosstool-ng for membership in the Software
>> Freedom Conservancy. [...]
>
> Thank you for the offer. This is great news! :-)

This is a very good news
I am glad for you and all the contributors.

Re: Offer of membership in Software Freedom Conservancy, Inc. to Crosstool-ng

Anthony Foiani
[Apologies if some of you get this twice -- I forgot about the plain
text requirements for crossgcc.]

It looks like the Conservancy also mailed individual contributors, a
nicety which is very much appreciated.

I contributed far less to crosstool-ng than I got back from it.  For
those meagre contributions, I am happy to assign them to Yann, the
Conservancy, or to whatever entity ends up holding the rights to the
tool.

If a more formal mechanism is needed, please let us know.

Thanks, and good luck!

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 2:46 PM, Yann E. MORIN <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Bradley, All,
>
> On 2014-04-24 11:44 -0400, Bradley M. Kuhn spake thusly:
>> TL;DR: Crosstool-ng applied (long ago) to the Conservancy and has
>>        (finally) been offered membership.  The FSA template should be
>>        reviewed by all interested parties, and we need your help to
>>        draft three specific sections, which are discussed in detail at
>>        the bottom of this email.
>>
>> Full Details:
>>
>> I am excited to inform you that Conservancy's Project Evaluation
>> Committee has approved Crosstool-ng for membership in the Software
>> Freedom Conservancy. [...]
>
> Thank you for the offer. This is great news! :-)
>
>> The next step is to negotiate a formal agreement between the project and
>> the Conservancy, which is called a fiscal sponsorship agreement (FSA).
>> You can find a template of the agreement available on Conservancy's
>> website at: https://sfconservancy.org/members/apply/ConservancyFSATemplate.pdf
>>             https://sfconservancy.org/members/apply/conservancy-fsa-template.tex
>>             https://sfconservancy.org/members/apply/conservancy-fsa-template.odt
>>
>> Generally, Conservancy leaves it for the Crosstool-ng community to
>> decide how you'd like to discuss the document internally.  Note that
>> signing such an agreement is a big step for the project and you should
>> consider the agreement carefully, in whatever forum is most appropriate
>> for your community.  Conservancy strongly suggests that a public
>> discussion of the FSA occur on the general discussion list for
>> developers of your project, which is why I've posted this information
>> here on your public list.
>
> We will be discussing this FSA on this list.
>
> Should we keep you, Bradley, and/or the "Project Intake group" in Cc of
> all the discussion, or do you just want a final summary with pointers to
> the ML archives?
>
> [--SNIP--]
>
>> We look forward to Crosstool-ng joining the Conservancy!
>
> Thank you again for this offer. :-)
>
> Regards,
> Yann E. MORIN.
>
> --
> .-----------------.--------------------.------------------.--------------------.
> |  Yann E. MORIN  | Real-Time Embedded | /"\ ASCII RIBBON | Erics' conspiracy: |
> | +33 662 376 056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |  ___               |
> | +33 223 225 172 `------------.-------:  X  AGAINST      |  \e/  There is no  |
> | http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/ | _/*\_ | / \ HTML MAIL    |   v   conspiracy.  |
> '------------------------------^-------^------------------^--------------------'

Re: Offer of membership in Software Freedom Conservancy, Inc. to Crosstool-ng

Bradley M. Kuhn
Anthony Foiani wrote at 22:33 (PDT) on Tuesday:
> It looks like the Conservancy also mailed individual contributors, a
> nicety which is very much appreciated.

Indeed, it's important for Conservancy to let everyone know what's going
on with joining Conservancy.  The whole project joins Conservancy when
this happens.

> I contributed far less to crosstool-ng than I got back from it. For
> those meagre contributions, I am happy to assign them to Yann, the
> Conservancy, or to whatever entity ends up holding the rights to the
> tool.

To be clear, Conservancy doesn't *require* copyright assignment.  It's
an option for our projects, but most of our projects don't do it.

> If a more formal mechanism is needed, please let us know.

So, Anthony, since you've already licensed your contributions under
Crosstool-ng's license, there's nothing more you need to do!

The main issue for everyone with Crosstool-ng joining Conservancy is
that any assets the project *does* end up holding (be they copyrights,
money, trademarks, etc.), those assets are held by Conservancy on behalf
of the project and they will be in a 501(c)(3) entity.
--
Bradley M. Kuhn, President, Software Freedom Conservancy

Re: Offer of membership in Software Freedom Conservancy, Inc. to Crosstool-ng

Bryan Hundven
I am still looking for crosstool-ng to join the SFC.

I remember meeting with Bradley, and with many other open-source contributors.

I think with the history of this thread is an application for the SFC.

Cheers,

-Bryan Hundven

https://sourceware.org/ml/crossgcc/2014-04/msg00021.html