Re: Deprecating and removing old targets

Re: Deprecating and removing old targets

Harry Reed
All,

I've been a lurker here for a while, but decided now to chime in. The
old National Semiconductor ns32k CPU lives on as a recent FPGA
(re)implementation - (see: http://cpu-ns32k.net/ and
http://opencores.org/project,m32632).   The ns32k was mentioned as a
candidate for removal, but I would like to request that it stay due to
the resurrection of this old friend.

If you need a volunteer for maintaining the ns32k port I'll happily
step-in.

Regards,
Harry Reed

---

Re: Deprecating and removing old targets

Tristan Gingold-2

What about submitting a first patch that un-deprecates it ?

Re: Deprecating and removing old targets

Harry Reed
OK, I can do that. What is the protocol for submitting patches and what
are the requirements, etc?

Regards,

Harry Reed

On 11/04/2016 01:14 AM, Tristan Gingold wrote:
>> On 03 Nov 2016, at 18:10, Harry Reed <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> All,
>>
>> I've been a lurker here for a while, but decided now to chime in. The old National Semiconductor ns32k CPU lives on as a recent FPGA (re)implementation - (see: http://cpu-ns32k.net/ and http://opencores.org/project,m32632).   The ns32k was mentioned as a candidate for removal, but I would like to request that it stay due to the resurrection of this old friend.
>>
>> If you need a volunteer for maintaining the ns32k port I'll happily step-in.
> What about submitting a first patch that un-deprecates it ?

---

Re: Deprecating and removing old targets

Nick Clifton
Hi Harry,

> What is the protocol for submitting patches and what are the requirements, etc?

The code in the patches should follow the GNU Coding standard:

  http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/gnustandards

If the patch is "legally significant" (ie non trivial) then we
must have an FSF binutils copyright assignment from you before
we can accept the patch:

  http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/maintain.html#Legally-Significant

Patches should be submitted to this mailing list in the form of
context diffs.  They should be accompanied by a proposed entry
for the ChangeLog(s) of the directories affected, in plain text
format.  (Not as a diff please as diffs to changelogs almost
never apply cleanly).

A patch should be accompanied by an explanation of what it does
and why it is necessary.  If relevant the inclusion of a new
testcase (or two) is always appreciated.  Also if relevant you
should mention how the patch was tested and what regressions, if
any, were caused by the patch.

Oh, and thanks very much for considering contributing to this project.

Cheers
  Nick