Python API: Getting symbol by address

Roman Popov
Hello,
I have collection in C++ that stores pointers to functions and methods. I
want to pretty-print pointed method and functions names.

It is possible using GDB shell, for example:

(gdb) info symbol 0x405ece

top::test_thread() in section .text of test_procs

However I found no way to do the same using Python API.  Why such
limitation?

P/S Same question on stackoverflow :
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47916564/gdb-python-api-getting-symbol-name-from-address

Thanks,
Roman

Re: Python API: Getting symbol by address

Simon Marchi
On 2017-12-21 13:20, Roman Popov wrote:

> Hello,
> I have collection in C++ that stores pointers to functions and methods.
> want to pretty-print pointed method and functions names.
>
> It is possible using GDB shell, for example:
>
> (gdb) info symbol 0x405ece
>
> top::test_thread() in section .text of test_procs
>

> However I found no way to do the same using Python API.  Why such
> limitation?
>
> P/S Same question on stackoverflow :
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47916564/gdb-python-api-getting-symbol-name-from-address
>
> Thanks,
> Roman

Hi Roman,

As most things in the Python API (and GDB in general), it's likely
because no one took the time to do it.  I don't see any technical reason
not to have it.  If you take a shot at writing a patch for this, feel
free to ask if you are blocked.

Thanks,

Simon

Re: Python API: Getting symbol by address

Roman Popov
Thanks, so it is just not implemented yet.
Unfortunately I can't quickly write a patch myself because I'm not familiar
with gdb codebase. I don't even know how debuggers work to be honest .

I've noticed that GDB can pretty-print function/method pointer values like
this:

print ( some_func_ptr_gdbvalue )
>>> (void (*)(int, int)) 0x4049f7 <test(int, int)>

So I've unblocked myself by this ugly text parsing workaround:

s = str (some_func_ptr_gdbvalue)
symbol_name = s[s.find("<") + 1 : s.rfind(">")]
gdb_symbol = gdb.lookup_symbol(symbol_name)