Project status

Tiago Daitx
Hi,

I have been trying to follow up on Mauve and to build it, but that has
not been working really well.

First of all, the project is lacking a web presence, it seems dead
outside the CVS repo. Most of the links from the main page at
sourceware [1] are not working:

- "Download" [2] points to nightly snapshots [3] which is empty
- "CVS" [4] points to the cvsweb [5] which then redirects to a
repository listing [6] where mauve is missing
- The mailing lists archives seem to indicate some activity
(month/year links which seem to skip periods with no activity), but
clicking on the respective month/year leads to a "No messages here";
the exception here is a single message in mauve-patches for 2017 that
seems pretty much like spam

Checking out CVS repository does show that the last commits are dated
8/April/2016.

The README seems to be out of date, as some arguments for the
configure script have been removed on a previous commit
(--with-bootclasspath, --with-gcj).

Trying to run the testsuite (java Harness) brings up lots of errors
when using the autocompile.

Trying to compile the gnu/testlet testsuite before hand will also
throw out errors with both gcj as well as openjdk.

For gcj-5 (full log at [7]):
$ cd gnu/testlet
$ /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj/bin/javac -nowarn -cp ../../:. .
148 problems (148 errors)

For openjdk-8 (full log at [8]):
$ cd gnu/testlet
$ find -name '*.java' -type f | sort -u > java_files
$ javac -cp /usr/share/java/libgcj-5.jar:../../:. -g -source 1.5
-target 1.5 -nowarn @java_files
32 errors

Trying to run the tests after compiling also does not work that well,
lots of errors like:
FAIL: gnu.java.security.hash.TestOfHashFactory
  line 42: TestOfHashFactory [1] -- uncaught exception:
   java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: gnu/java/security/hash/HashFactory

even though /usr/share/java/libgcj-5.jar is in the classpath and
contains the class.

It would be nice if I could get some pointers on what I'm doing wrong
and on whether the project is still being supported.

Best regards,
Tiago

[1] https://www.sourceware.org/mauve/
[2] https://www.sourceware.org/mauve/download.html
[3] ftp://sourceware.org/pub/mauve/snapshot/
[4] https://www.sourceware.org/mauve/cvs.html
[5] http://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/?cvsroot=mauve
[6] https://sourceware.org/viewvc
[7] https://pastebin.ubuntu.com/24054344/
[8] https://pastebin.ubuntu.com/24054354/

--
Tiago Stürmer Daitx
Software Engineer

PGP Key: 4096R/F5B213BE (hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com)
Fingerprint = 45D0 FE5A 8109 1E91 866E  8CA4 1931 8D5E F5B2 13BE

Re: Project status

Anthony Green-5

I don't believe this project is actively maintained or supported, but
I'm adding somebody on copy who may know otherwise.

AG

Tiago Daitx <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have been trying to follow up on Mauve and to build it, but that has
> not been working really well.
>
> First of all, the project is lacking a web presence, it seems dead
> outside the CVS repo. Most of the links from the main page at
> sourceware [1] are not working:
>
> - "Download" [2] points to nightly snapshots [3] which is empty
> - "CVS" [4] points to the cvsweb [5] which then redirects to a
> repository listing [6] where mauve is missing
> - The mailing lists archives seem to indicate some activity
> (month/year links which seem to skip periods with no activity), but
> clicking on the respective month/year leads to a "No messages here";
> the exception here is a single message in mauve-patches for 2017 that
> seems pretty much like spam
>
> Checking out CVS repository does show that the last commits are dated
> 8/April/2016.
>
> The README seems to be out of date, as some arguments for the
> configure script have been removed on a previous commit
> (--with-bootclasspath, --with-gcj).
>
> Trying to run the testsuite (java Harness) brings up lots of errors
> when using the autocompile.
>
> Trying to compile the gnu/testlet testsuite before hand will also
> throw out errors with both gcj as well as openjdk.
>
> For gcj-5 (full log at [7]):
> $ cd gnu/testlet
> $ /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj/bin/javac -nowarn -cp ../../:. .
> 148 problems (148 errors)
>
> For openjdk-8 (full log at [8]):
> $ cd gnu/testlet
> $ find -name '*.java' -type f | sort -u > java_files
> $ javac -cp /usr/share/java/libgcj-5.jar:../../:. -g -source 1.5
> -target 1.5 -nowarn @java_files
> 32 errors
>
> Trying to run the tests after compiling also does not work that well,
> lots of errors like:
> FAIL: gnu.java.security.hash.TestOfHashFactory
>   line 42: TestOfHashFactory [1] -- uncaught exception:
>    java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: gnu/java/security/hash/HashFactory
>
> even though /usr/share/java/libgcj-5.jar is in the classpath and
> contains the class.
>
> It would be nice if I could get some pointers on what I'm doing wrong
> and on whether the project is still being supported.
>
> Best regards,
> Tiago
>
> [1] https://www.sourceware.org/mauve/
> [2] https://www.sourceware.org/mauve/download.html
> [3] ftp://sourceware.org/pub/mauve/snapshot/
> [4] https://www.sourceware.org/mauve/cvs.html
> [5] http://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/?cvsroot=mauve
> [6] https://sourceware.org/viewvc
> [7] https://pastebin.ubuntu.com/24054344/
> [8] https://pastebin.ubuntu.com/24054354/

Re: Project status

Deepak Bhole
* Anthony Green <[hidden email]> [2017-02-27 14:49]:

> I don't believe this project is actively maintained or supported, but
> I'm adding somebody on copy who may know otherwise.
>
> AG

Thanks Anthony.

Hi Tiago, I don't think we actively update/run Mauve any more either. I
am adding our QE lead to CC who in the past may have kept it running.

Jiri, do we still run Mauve?

Deepak

> Tiago Daitx <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have been trying to follow up on Mauve and to build it, but that has
> > not been working really well.
> >
> > First of all, the project is lacking a web presence, it seems dead
> > outside the CVS repo. Most of the links from the main page at
> > sourceware [1] are not working:
> >
> > - "Download" [2] points to nightly snapshots [3] which is empty
> > - "CVS" [4] points to the cvsweb [5] which then redirects to a
> > repository listing [6] where mauve is missing
> > - The mailing lists archives seem to indicate some activity
> > (month/year links which seem to skip periods with no activity), but
> > clicking on the respective month/year leads to a "No messages here";
> > the exception here is a single message in mauve-patches for 2017 that
> > seems pretty much like spam
> >
> > Checking out CVS repository does show that the last commits are dated
> > 8/April/2016.
> >
> > The README seems to be out of date, as some arguments for the
> > configure script have been removed on a previous commit
> > (--with-bootclasspath, --with-gcj).
> >
> > Trying to run the testsuite (java Harness) brings up lots of errors
> > when using the autocompile.
> >
> > Trying to compile the gnu/testlet testsuite before hand will also
> > throw out errors with both gcj as well as openjdk.
> >
> > For gcj-5 (full log at [7]):
> > $ cd gnu/testlet
> > $ /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj/bin/javac -nowarn -cp ../../:. .
> > 148 problems (148 errors)
> >
> > For openjdk-8 (full log at [8]):
> > $ cd gnu/testlet
> > $ find -name '*.java' -type f | sort -u > java_files
> > $ javac -cp /usr/share/java/libgcj-5.jar:../../:. -g -source 1.5
> > -target 1.5 -nowarn @java_files
> > 32 errors
> >
> > Trying to run the tests after compiling also does not work that well,
> > lots of errors like:
> > FAIL: gnu.java.security.hash.TestOfHashFactory
> >   line 42: TestOfHashFactory [1] -- uncaught exception:
> >    java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: gnu/java/security/hash/HashFactory
> >
> > even though /usr/share/java/libgcj-5.jar is in the classpath and
> > contains the class.
> >
> > It would be nice if I could get some pointers on what I'm doing wrong
> > and on whether the project is still being supported.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Tiago
> >
> > [1] https://www.sourceware.org/mauve/
> > [2] https://www.sourceware.org/mauve/download.html
> > [3] ftp://sourceware.org/pub/mauve/snapshot/
> > [4] https://www.sourceware.org/mauve/cvs.html
> > [5] http://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/?cvsroot=mauve
> > [6] https://sourceware.org/viewvc
> > [7] https://pastebin.ubuntu.com/24054344/
> > [8] https://pastebin.ubuntu.com/24054354/

Re: Project status

Deepak Bhole
* Deepak Bhole <[hidden email]> [2017-02-27 14:51]:

> * Anthony Green <[hidden email]> [2017-02-27 14:49]:
> >
> > I don't believe this project is actively maintained or supported, but
> > I'm adding somebody on copy who may know otherwise.
> >
> > AG
> >

> Thanks Anthony.
>
> Hi Tiago, I don't think we actively update/run Mauve any more either. I
> am adding our QE lead to CC who in the past may have kept it running.
>
> Jiri, do we still run Mauve?

Adding Jiri for real this time :/

> Deepak
>
> > Tiago Daitx <[hidden email]> writes:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have been trying to follow up on Mauve and to build it, but that has
> > > not been working really well.
> > >
> > > First of all, the project is lacking a web presence, it seems dead
> > > outside the CVS repo. Most of the links from the main page at
> > > sourceware [1] are not working:
> > >
> > > - "Download" [2] points to nightly snapshots [3] which is empty
> > > - "CVS" [4] points to the cvsweb [5] which then redirects to a
> > > repository listing [6] where mauve is missing
> > > - The mailing lists archives seem to indicate some activity
> > > (month/year links which seem to skip periods with no activity), but
> > > clicking on the respective month/year leads to a "No messages here";
> > > the exception here is a single message in mauve-patches for 2017 that
> > > seems pretty much like spam
> > >
> > > Checking out CVS repository does show that the last commits are dated
> > > 8/April/2016.
> > >
> > > The README seems to be out of date, as some arguments for the
> > > configure script have been removed on a previous commit
> > > (--with-bootclasspath, --with-gcj).
> > >
> > > Trying to run the testsuite (java Harness) brings up lots of errors
> > > when using the autocompile.
> > >
> > > Trying to compile the gnu/testlet testsuite before hand will also
> > > throw out errors with both gcj as well as openjdk.
> > >
> > > For gcj-5 (full log at [7]):
> > > $ cd gnu/testlet
> > > $ /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj/bin/javac -nowarn -cp ../../:. .
> > > 148 problems (148 errors)
> > >
> > > For openjdk-8 (full log at [8]):
> > > $ cd gnu/testlet
> > > $ find -name '*.java' -type f | sort -u > java_files
> > > $ javac -cp /usr/share/java/libgcj-5.jar:../../:. -g -source 1.5
> > > -target 1.5 -nowarn @java_files
> > > 32 errors
> > >
> > > Trying to run the tests after compiling also does not work that well,
> > > lots of errors like:
> > > FAIL: gnu.java.security.hash.TestOfHashFactory
> > >   line 42: TestOfHashFactory [1] -- uncaught exception:
> > >    java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: gnu/java/security/hash/HashFactory
> > >
> > > even though /usr/share/java/libgcj-5.jar is in the classpath and
> > > contains the class.
> > >
> > > It would be nice if I could get some pointers on what I'm doing wrong
> > > and on whether the project is still being supported.
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > Tiago
> > >
> > > [1] https://www.sourceware.org/mauve/
> > > [2] https://www.sourceware.org/mauve/download.html
> > > [3] ftp://sourceware.org/pub/mauve/snapshot/
> > > [4] https://www.sourceware.org/mauve/cvs.html
> > > [5] http://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/?cvsroot=mauve
> > > [6] https://sourceware.org/viewvc
> > > [7] https://pastebin.ubuntu.com/24054344/
> > > [8] https://pastebin.ubuntu.com/24054354/

Re: Project status

Jiri Vanek
On 02/27/2017 08:52 PM, Deepak Bhole wrote:

> * Deepak Bhole <[hidden email]> [2017-02-27 14:51]:
>> * Anthony Green <[hidden email]> [2017-02-27 14:49]:
>>>
>>> I don't believe this project is actively maintained or supported, but
>>> I'm adding somebody on copy who may know otherwise.
>>>
>>> AG
>>>

>> Thanks Anthony.
>>
>> Hi Tiago, I don't think we actively update/run Mauve any more either. I
>> am adding our QE lead to CC who in the past may have kept it running.
>>
>> Jiri, do we still run Mauve?

No, mauve is no longer run no maintained. It lot track with jdks on 1.6.0. Now we are looking to 9.

J.

> Adding Jiri for real this time :/

thanx ;)

Re: Project status

Anthony Green-5

> No, mauve is no longer run no maintained. It lot track with jdks on 1.6.0. Now we are looking to 9.
>
> J.

Thanks.  I'm putting a TODO on my list for updating the current status
on the mauve web site.

AG

Re: Project status

Mark Wielaard
On Tue, 2017-02-28 at 07:31 -0500, Anthony Green wrote:
> > No, mauve is no longer run no maintained. It lot track with jdks on 1.6.0. Now we are looking to 9.
>
> Thanks.  I'm putting a TODO on my list for updating the current status
> on the mauve web site.

Just a note that on the icedtea server we maintain a git mirror of the
various mauve repositories:
http://icedtea.classpath.org/mirror/git/

Obviously they are only updated (once every other hour) when the main
CVS repository is updated. So for some that is 11 (!) years ago... But
it might be a useful resource for someone who wants to revive any of the
test suites.

Cheers,

Mark

Re: Project status

Anthony Green-5
Mark Wielaard <[hidden email]> writes:

> Just a note that on the icedtea server we maintain a git mirror of the
> various mauve repositories:
> http://icedtea.classpath.org/mirror/git/
>
> Obviously they are only updated (once every other hour) when the main
> CVS repository is updated. So for some that is 11 (!) years ago... But
> it might be a useful resource for someone who wants to revive any of the
> test suites.

Wow.. my first commit was 18 years ago.  Where did the time go...

AG

Re: Project status

Andrew Hughes