Package versioning requirements for an epk

Package versioning requirements for an epk

Michael Bergandi
Can someone explain/confirm the versioning requirements for an epk
package distribution?

From what I can tell, you used to be able to get away with
$PACKAGE/current, but it looks like ecosadmin.tcl might have been
updated to force proper verisioning. The package I am testing does use
'current' as the version directory in the epk, but the ecosadmin.tcl
tool is barking about the package not having a version directory.

Mike

Re: Package versioning requirements for an epk

John Dallaway-2
Hi Michael

Michael Bergandi wrote:

> Can someone explain/confirm the versioning requirements for an epk
> package distribution?
>
> From what I can tell, you used to be able to get away with
> $PACKAGE/current, but it looks like ecosadmin.tcl might have been
> updated to force proper verisioning. The package I am testing does use
> 'current' as the version directory in the epk, but the ecosadmin.tcl
> tool is barking about the package not having a version directory.

Using "current" as a version directory within a .epk file should work,
but the tool is intended for easy distribution of package _releases_ so
version directory names in the "v1_0" style make more sense in the
majority of cases.

For avoidance of doubt, the directory path fragments in ecos.db should
always point to the parent directory of the package version directory.

John Dallaway
eCos maintainer

Re: Package versioning requirements for an epk

Sergei Gavrikov-4
Hi Michael,

On Mon, 3 Jan 2011, Michael Bergandi wrote:
> Can someone explain/confirm the versioning requirements for an epk
> package distribution?

The gory details about eCos 'Package Versioning':
http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/cdl-guide/package.versions.html

> From what I can tell, you used to be able to get away with
> $PACKAGE/current, but it looks like ecosadmin.tcl might have been
> updated to force proper verisioning. The package I am testing does use
> 'current' as the version directory in the epk, but the ecosadmin.tcl
> tool is barking about the package not having a version directory.

In no way I could reproduce this.

Sergei

Re: Package versioning requirements for an epk

Michael Bergandi
John,

> Using "current" as a version directory within a .epk file should work,
> but the tool is intended for easy distribution of package _releases_ so
> version directory names in the "v1_0" style make more sense in the
> majority of cases.

Well, it only works if you know how to tar the package properly! ;)

I used "tar czvf dummy.epk . ", when I should have used "tar czvf
dummy.epk * " from the root of my package directory. Once I figured
that out, it works fine.

Thanks for confirming it should work with 'current' as the version directory.

--
Mike