PING Re: [RFAv2 0/3] New option 'set exec-file-mismatch (ask|warn|off)'. Fixes PR gdb/17626.

PING Re: [RFAv2 0/3] New option 'set exec-file-mismatch (ask|warn|off)'. Fixes PR gdb/17626.

Philippe Waroquiers
As far as I can see, except for the (pre-existing) failure
of the test when running in gdbserver, the rest of this patch
was already reviewed/Ok-ed.

Thanks
Philippe

On Sat, 2020-01-11 at 19:10 +0100, Philippe Waroquiers wrote:

> New option 'set exec-file-mismatch (ask|warn|off)'.  Fixes PR gdb/17626.
>
> This option allows to tell GDB to detect and possibly handle mismatched
> exec-files.
>
> A recurrent problem with GDB is that GDB uses the wrong exec-file
> when using the attach/detach commands successively.
> Also, in case the user specifies a file on the command line but attaches
> to the wrong PID, this error is not made visible and gives a not user
> understandable behaviour.
>
> RFA 1/3 Implement 'set/show exec-file-mismatch'.
>    implements the option.
> RFA 2/2 modifies gdb.base/attach.exp to test the option.
> RFA 3/3 documents the option in NEWS and in gdb.texinfo
>
> This is the second version of the RFA.
> This version handles the comments of Eli about the documentation.
> As discussed, the option values have been changed to 'ask|warn|off'
> (ask was previouly reload).
>
> Some early comments were given by Tom on the RFC.
> Some feedback related to these comments:
>   * I have styled the warning/error messages mentionning files in exec.c
>
>   * Related to new lines in the warning message: many other warning
>     messages have new lines.  I have kept them, as it looks to me that
>     the message is more clear like that.  Of course, I can remove them
>     if deemed better without.
>
>   * What happens if the inferior execs another program ?
>     This option only controls the behaviour when attaching to a running
>     program.  The behaviour of 'exec' is not changed: GDB already properly
>     determines the executable to use after exec.

Re: PING Re: [RFAv2 0/3] New option 'set exec-file-mismatch (ask|warn|off)'. Fixes PR gdb/17626.

Tom Tromey-2

Philippe> As far as I can see, except for the (pre-existing) failure
Philippe> of the test when running in gdbserver, the rest of this patch
Philippe> was already reviewed/Ok-ed.

Thanks, these are ok, please check them in.

Tom

On Thu, 2020-01-23 at 14:19 -0700, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Philippe> As far as I can see, except for the (pre-existing) failure
> Philippe> of the test when running in gdbserver, the rest of this patch
> Philippe> was already reviewed/Ok-ed.
>
> Thanks, these are ok, please check them in.
>
> Tom
Thanks, pushed.

Philippe