Opencores Ethernet with Phy

Les G. Miklosy-2
I wish to assemble an Ethernet driver based on the opencores module for
low level functionality with phy support and the standalone layer for
io. Looking at the ecos database (ecos-3.0) it appears only the Arm,
Rattler/fcc and Moab/ppc405 PowerPC have used phy support. At the same
time no other hardware family use unmodified opencores drivers (granted
interfaces are similar for stop, start, can_send, send). Why have
opencores drivers been so  unpopular among other processor families in
that regard?  Why is the phy module used so seldom?   Are there further
issues with the choice of io layer I should know about?  I chose
standalone for the complement with Redboot rather than for an ECOS
application.

Thanks for any guidance. -Les