Most Kawa-compatible licensing scheme for a new project?
Hello. I'm writing to ask an advice about the licensing scheme for a
new project in which I may include code copied from Kawa and then
modified by me.
I can only imagine 2 scenarios, but I don't know :
- if my understanding about the 2 scenarios is correct
- if there are other choices besides them
1. I distribute my project under the MIT - Expat license
2. Since I've choosen the MIT license, I can't include code
that I have modified after having copied it from Kawa
1. I distribute my project under the GPL license
2. Since I have choosen the GPL, I can include in my project
code that I have taken and modified from Kawa
3. Let's say that someone in the Kawa team at that point wants to
copy->paste->modify some code from my project into Kawa: since Kawa
is also MIT licensed, would the fact I used the GPL forbid this?
I'm asking because I'm trying to write a java project to support
interactive development in Kawa (porting my own `geiser-kawa'
from scheme to java atm) and, in the remote case it's decent,
some functions may happen to be reusable in the Kawa Language Server.
So my question is: what's the most Kawa-compatible licensing scheme
that allows both of the following?
- Code from Kawa to be copied->pasted->modified into my project
- Code from my project to be copied->pasted->modified into Kawa
Some days ago I read some comment online I can't find anymore which
said Kawa had this double MIT/GPL license where you could pick the MIT
one only if you didn't make any changes to the code and I took it for
good without checking. Now I see those modules are not part of the
standard distribution anymore.
‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Friday, January 31, 2020 4:17 PM, Per Bothner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 1/31/20 6:44 AM, spellcard199 wrote:
> > Scenario 1:
> > 1. I distribute my project under the MIT - Expat license
> > 2. Since I've choosen the MIT license, I can't include code
> > that I have modified after having copied it from Kawa
> Why not?
> --Per Bothner
> [hidden email]http://per.bothner.com/